Potentially the longest thread in history...

again i say, i see no point to fold. I rather not have my computer on 24/7 to fold to try to get the highest points regardless if im somehow helping cure disease, somehow, by folding.

it studies protein folding... which is a cause of cancer... and its helping understand why it folds and how to prevent it...

sooo.. you are helping cure a disease... called "cancer"... lol

Because i feel good knowing that im putting my hardware to good use, while having a bit of fun with it.

3dmark serves no purpose other than a benchmark saying "my system is faster than yours" while folding is a benchmark that says "my system can fold faster than yours" while helping cure diseases, with more power and speed than the fastest super computers in the world.

Folding@Home

3,170 teraflops of folding power is no joke.

On September 16, 2007, the Folding@home project officially attained a performance level higher than one petaFLOPS, becoming the first computing system of any kind to do so, although it had briefly peaked above one petaFLOPS in March 2007.<sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-14" class="reference">[15]</sup>. In comparison, the fastest supercomputer in the world (as of June 2008, IBM's Roadrunner) peaks at 1.026 petaFLOPS<sup id="cite_ref-15" class="reference">[16]</sup>. In early May 2008 the project attained a sustained performance level higher than two petaFLOPS, again being the first computing system of any kind to do so. Now Folding@home computing cluster operates at above 2 petaFLOPS at all times, with a large majority of the performance coming from PlayStation 3 and GPU clients.<sup id="cite_ref-osstats_1-2" class="reference">[2]</sup> On August 20, 2008, the Folding@home project broke the three petaFLOPS milestone, once again being the first computing project of any kind in history to ever do so.<sup id="cite_ref-osstats_1-3" class="reference">[2]</sup>

it studies protein folding... which is a cause of cancer... and its helping understand why it folds and how to prevent it...

sooo.. you are helping cure a disease... called "cancer"... lol

cancer is a disease? j/k

meh, millions of other are folding right now, were bound to find a cure soon.

Every bit helps man.

If everybody had that attitude nobody would be folding.

Its not just cancer either, its many cures therye after.

in my situation, i cant have my computer up and running 24/7, my dad's income is tighter then ever, need to save money on electricity, even though my PSU has 80% energy efficiency. Once i get my computer up and running, i might do some folding n if im not comfortable with it, then ill stop. I'm just not very positive about folding right now.

in my situation, i cant have my computer up and running 24/7, my dad's income is tighter then ever, need to save money on electricity, even though my PSU has 80% energy efficiency. Once i get my computer up and running, i might do some folding n if im not comfortable with it, then ill stop. I'm just not very positive about folding right now.

which is why 8800's are very good for folding, Nvidia cards produce the most points per watt, compared to all other clients.

I have three 8800s going and it costs about $30 a month, i did a comparison here against a ps3.

http://www.techist.com/forums/1441332-post6.html

A single pc running 24/7 folding on an 8800GT would use less than half of that, so it would be only about $10 a month.

Back
Top Bottom