A poll. Windows XP and RAM usage. I use under 400mb, and you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys must have alot of background apps or a memory guzzling AV to get anything over400mb idle. My dads comp as mentioned above when he had trend micro pccillin it used 500mb idle but since I put avg on it its down in the 200mb range firefox and email running

Im sorry to say, i'm a linux fanboy. If you get it working: it works. And it works forever.

Now my testimonial. I just built a machine for my mother. Intel Xeon E3110 at 3ghz, 4gb of DDR1066 ram, an ok graphics card from ATI. Windows XP.

Now about the system. I boot up with 250mb of ram being used. Why does she have 4gb? becuase she runs heavy CPU programs. But thats ok. At the end of the day she uses 400mb of RAM. Even though she only needs 512mb of RAM, it runs fast.

Now tell me.

HOW MANY PEOPLE are able to get their system, completely updated, and patched, to run with that much memory used?

I would really like to know. I really worked hard for it, and there are no real special effects, but i consider that true computer Administration. If you can't do that, go to linux. Its easier.

Can't say the same for vista though. I got it under 600mb if that counts.

Trying to brag again are we?

With nothing opened (and most of the unnecessary processes like Xfire/Comodo stuff like that)

I use up 420.5MB
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to brag cause you used a hacked up version of Windows XP. Thats fine. Do it in the OT area as it is not needed in any other area.

Cheers,
Mak

Theres a hacked version that hogs less RAM?

On Vista

I have 2gigs of RAM and it uses 1GB with certain programs, jumps to 1.5GB when playing games and sometimes Fireworks as a unique proccess can take up over 1.2 gigs of RAM when rendering complicated 3D Illustrator vector (mainly takes up 100-500mbytes) but I believe 2GBs are just enough. I will soon install 4GB DRR3 when I'll buy my new computer...

Here's my question to you: Why?

Why would I want to try to make XP use 400mb of RAM, when I have 2048mb available? That doesn't even make any sense.

XP uses around 400-500mb from default so, that's not really a big achievement tbh.

i use about 225 idle and about 400 when running music msn face book and being on tech forums. the most ive seen was using crysis it uses a wopping 884mb, plus the 300 being used for the system it comes to 1100mb.

Thank you for your responses. This is not what I expected, but the more I thought about it, the more I should have expected.

This is a forum of people constantly tweaking thier machines, and therefore take care of it by adding RAM or stopping processes. I've seen users with computers running 800mb of RAM in XP IDLE!

But why is it so hard to keep that RAM down? Isn't XP supposed to work on at least 128mb of RAM? I know the custumized version i use at work starts off with 80mb used, and idles at 180mb when configured (lots and lots of tweaking, taking things out I kinda want)

Thank you for your responses. This is not what I expected, but the more I thought about it, the more I should have expected.

This is a forum of people constantly tweaking thier machines, and therefore take care of it by adding RAM or stopping processes. I've seen users with computers running 800mb of RAM in XP IDLE!

But why is it so hard to keep that RAM down? Isn't XP supposed to work on at least 128mb of RAM? I know the custumized version i use at work starts off with 80mb used, and idles at 180mb when configured (lots and lots of tweaking, taking things out I kinda want)

The more Ram you have, the more windows will load files on it to make it load faster, if you have 256mbyte ram for example it would take up about 100mbytes. If you have 512mbyte it would take more, if you have 1gig much more and goes on. If somebody was using 800mbyte on XP (idle) they would have at least 4gigs installed as Vista idle takes up exactly 1gig on my 2GB ddr2 ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom