the polite way to keep random people off craigslist off your dorm room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well what if the only option was for them to stay in your dorm? That is the whole point of this post. My only option is for them to stay in my dorm because thats where my equipment is at. I just want to keep them outside my dorm, not outside my home.

just state that it's a drop off service, not a while you wait. And if it's a short job that is while you wait, that you have sitting accommodations in the lobby.

What I was saying is you can take your equipment to their place. Go on the call with a few supplies like can of air, tools, backup media, CD / DVD with utilities, etc - small things. Once you are working on the machine and notice you need to do something at your place give them the option, you can take it back for half the cost, or come back to their place for full cost the next day or at a later date with your equipment.

Do you have a business license? Do you have a legally business entity? W/o that it is extremely difficult to get people to trust you and realize that you aren't there to jip them. I have an LLC and even then at times it is difficult to get them to understand that I'm a legal business and that i'm not going to steal their computer.

As I see it, do as peter said and they can wait in the lobby at your dorm (since they would know you don't have a shop) or let them know you can take it back for a lower cost, or come back with the proper equipment at a later time for a higher cost (b/c more time and resources required).

Do you have a business license? Do you have a legally business entity? W/o that it is extremely difficult to get people to trust you and realize that you aren't there to jip them. I have an LLC and even then at times it is difficult to get them to understand that I'm a legal business and that i'm not going to steal their computer.

not to mention the IRS. The government is going to want their cut too. This has prevented me from setting up my own tech support site.

the thread starter might want to discuss with a tax lawyer first.

I personally would take any computer I was working on back to my workbench. I work better when I don't have someone hanging over my shoulder.

But like Lex said, it's better to get a business license if you're going to be working on people's computers. It reassures them.

It does more than reassures them. It legitimizes the business. You are going to be extremely upset when you do a considerable work for a customer and they file their expenses that they paid you and you then have to file those incomes on your taxes (since i double you're probably doing that at this moment). Or you do a decent amount of work and lose someones files, then they sue you for loses and damages. While that could still happen with an LLC, they can't take your personal money, just what the LLC has (like a liability shelter of sorts).

Just safer all around to go get your sole proprietorship or LLC, you'll get more business, people will trust you, you don't have to worry about getting a random tax form in March, and you don't have to worry as much about liability.

You'll still have liability if you just to a partnership or sole proprietorship, as the work you complete is still done under your name. Even if you create a business name the work and liability is still solely yours and your partners (if applicable). With an LLC all business is done under the LLC and from Uncle Sam's standpoint and a lawyers standpoint the LLC is a separate entity. So if i screw up as long as i was conducting the business under my companies name (which I always do, don't take personal checks in my name, etc) the business is the only entity liable, not me. We are separate and i'm an employee of the LLC, so all liability falls on it's hands, not mine.

Ok, I wasn't sure. I was going to just file with my business name, but I wasn't sure exactly what that would get me, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom