Police: Cyclist likely killed by text-messaging driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

It was the second time Price, an avid cyclist, had been hit by car. He suffered a broken ankle two years ago when he was hit while riding on a bike path. His wife, Shirley, said he had been especially mindful of cars since then.

Shirley Price wasn't angry with the teen. "I feel sorry for the teenager," she said. "It was a stupid mistake," she told the Rocky Mountain News.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/26/textmessage.death.ap/index.html

Some people are just plain careless! That idiot should be sent to jail for that. At the very least, he should have his license revoked.

Mountain.jpg

thats the guy that was killed, he had about 22,000 posts on a cycling forum, he will be sorely missed, he knew an incredible amount about bikes and had sage advice

taken out by a 17 yr old fool while he was riding in a bike lane

very serious.......I dont joke about stuff, especially something like this

He went by the nickname of BikerBilly, he was a really cool guy. A couple times he even built up and donated bikes to people that needed them. He was bit crotchety at times to talk too, he had a sharp tongue and wasnt afraid to speak his mind, but its all good. He used to hang out mostly at the bicycling.com maintenance forum, thats where I knew him from. On that forum he's been a sort of fixture or even a hero at times, thousands of people will miss him.

Dunno how the wife can't be angry...I'm sorry but trying to drive while text messaging is an even stupider idea than getting behind the wheel after drinking too much

I can picture the next one: "famed gamer fatal1ty hits pedestrain while practicing his headshots...the 24 year old was following his routine of practicing gaming six hours a day while driving to lan"

good god people are stupid...how the hell can you sit and freakin text message while driving....but then again I can't even begin to understand half the crap people do while driving.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I tend to DRIVE and LOOK AT THE **** ROAD and my mirrors while I'm driving.

From the comments the wife made, she must've loved him a lot.

People are so stupid these days it's amazing.

Nubius said:
good god people are stupid...how the hell can you sit and freakin text message while driving....but then again I can't even begin to understand half the crap people do while driving.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I tend to DRIVE and LOOK AT THE **** ROAD and my mirrors while I'm driving.

i see girls sms and do makeup while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom