Points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you ask me I'll say that's just human arrogance. We have to be on top of things to feel we are "important". People don't realize that it's not about that. You can make a difference, no matter how small you are.

Besides, you shouldn't feel diminished because of the Universe's vastness. Au contraire, you should be in awe.

When I was a kid, I used to look at the night sky, at all those small white points. I tried to grasp the dimensions of what I was seeing, but always found I couldn't completely do it. Knowing that each little dot was potentially a whole solar system, with its own planets and moons, was just amazing.

Then, I'd wonder if the constellations were really just random collections of stars, or rather huge masterpieces of architecture put in place eons ago. And I'd think that whatever questions bugged our existence, as human beings, we would find an answer somewhere in the deepness of the cosmos.

Today, I'm an astronomer :).

Meithan said:
Well, if you ask me I'll say that's just human arrogance. We have to be on top of things to feel we are "important". People don't realize that it's not about that. You can make a difference, 2: no matter how small you are.
Besides, you shouldn't feel diminished because of the Universe's vastness. Au contraire, you should be in awe.
Today, I'm an astronomer :).

Damm right its human arrogence.
Every human, even myself is arrogent and ignorant in their own ways according to the opinions of others.
2: Not in my world. :p :D :rolleyes: ;)
I don't feel diminished as much as I feel Apathy.
I was an awe, for some time. But that past.

I just space off when I see Pictures like the ones I posted and just wonder how people can continue their small exsistence.
Then again thats a matter of opinion.

You're just too pessimistic. Life is beautiful. Every single detail of Creation deserves admiration.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

You PMed me, and I tried to reply but your Inbox seems to be full. Here's my reply:

Apathy, pessimism and depression are closely related. Also, you don't have to be that way, one can always chose.

You showed us a picture that I love dearly, but your interpretation of it was quite the opposite. If we both learn anything from this, it should be that there are more than one way to look at things. I hence ask you: why chose the apathetic view? Does it do any good for you? Does it give you a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to seek that which will enhance your spirit? If it does, then do keep it... whatever floats your boat. But be sincere about it.

The King and the Ring

Ste said:
Yup, Im definitly opposite of your opinion.
I believe the universe is far to vast for anything done in this solar system to matter.

Warning: Humor follows this warning....wherever it goes it follows...hmmmm.....that's creepy.

If the Earth were to be destroyed then the graviational forces that hold the planets in a perfect orbit around the sun would also be destroyed causing our galaxy to destroy itself. Now, if you don't think that that has any effect on any of the other galaxies then you are sorely mistaken.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread before I even start. Have fun... X_x

FireFox said:
If the Earth were to be destroyed then the graviational forces that hold the planets in a perfect orbit around the sun would also be destroyed causing our galaxy to destroy itself. Now, if you don't think that that has any effect on any of the other galaxies then you are sorely mistaken.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread before I even start. Have fun... X_x

Perfect orbit? Incorrect. Its called Keplers First Law
"The orbit of a planet about the Sun is an ellipse with the Sun's center of mass at one focus."
I have no idea where you getting your information but your so completly wrong.
LOL @ Our galaxy would be destroyed because of earth being destroyed.
LOL @ other galaxies being affected because of our planet being destroyed.
What Drug are you on? Your Hilarious, you should be a comedian, wait, no someone may actualy believe you.

Wth, My inbox has nothing in it. Nothing! Lol. Anyways,

"1:You showed us a picture that I love dearly, but your interpretation of it was quite the opposite. If we both learn anything from this, it should be that there are more than one way to look at things. 2:I hence ask you: why chose the apathetic view? Does it do any good for you? Does it give you a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to seek that which will enhance your spirit? If it does, then do keep it... whatever floats your boat. 3:But be sincere about it."

1. Not an interpretation, just an opinion. I respect everyones opinion because I know an opinion is a thought or feeling developed because of the Combination of genetic code and Experiences in one Life. Therefore everyones opinion is unique and true in their point of view.
2. Its not like I can choose to be apathetic one minute and Full of emotions the next minuet. Its just the way I am come to be. In my exsistence I don't have a real definition of good, it neither does/is good or bad for me. Um, I don't believe in "spirit": But Prehaps I don't understand the context your using it in???
3. I am sincere. I started this thread to guage what other people think about it.

keep the replies comming, but Please don't post something as ignorant as what FF posted. That was simply ROFLalicious.

Yeah, his statements are a bit nutty. Completely wrong, of course. If the Earth suddenly vanished, the other planet would HARDLY feel any difference at all, let alone the Sun, or even worse, the Galaxy.

Meithan said:
Yeah, his statements are a bit nutty. Completely wrong, of course. If the Earth suddenly vanished, the other planet would HARDLY feel any difference at all, let alone the Sun, or even worse, the Galaxy.

Its interesting to note that the sun has a very small orbit of its own. Due to the gravitational effect of every object in the solar system the sun goes around it self in a very small but detectable ellipse. But no significant change would occur from the destruction of one Planet. :D

It's more like a wobble than a small orbit, but yes, you're correct.

Starry Night is a good program, but it's not free. I'm trying Celestia now, it does look good, but more importantly, there's a Linux version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom