Planatary Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thickness of Battleships walls relative to the amount of air inside it and the water it displaces almost insignificant.

A lead bowl can float, the term i have been trying to remember is displacement. Think about it somthing like the HMS ark royal weighs much more than the water it displaces but it is held afloat by the air it has in the void. Or atleast thats the way I was taught it it's been a while since i last tried to understand fluid dynamics / an fluid related phyisics.

I'm pretty sure the air inside the ark royal had a negligible effect on its displacement. To float you must either displace more than you weigh or be less dense/lighter than water. The Ark Royal displaced 22,000 tons of water. It had to weight less than that, and considering that relative to other warship air craft carrier have a lot of empty space in them, and how shallow their draft is relative to their size (28 feet for the Ark Royal), one can conclude the Ark Royal weighed many tons less than its displacement.

But you also have to remember that a Air Craft carrier, while having lots of empty space, also carry tons and tons of equipment. Some carry at least a hundred aircrafts which are a couple dozen tons each, then the choppers, then all the people yet they stay afloat out on the ocean.

I am sure that a Air Craft carrier carries enough weight to equal the amount or very close to the amount of water it displaces.

zmatt the ark dose she was sunk but the ship was reborn it's only when a ship goes down with all hands that it's not rebuilt in british naval tradition. I think her current compliment is 3 sea kings an 2 lynx copters.

empire earth lets me know what a sea king is ... that game rocked!

neuron-galaxy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom