phonex lander new mission to mars lands in 4 min

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be curious to know what the surface temp is there where the probe is..... and wind chill? I'd imagine it's well below freezing.

230121main_false_color_postcard_edr_516-387.jpg

This image shows a polygonal pattern in the ground near NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander, similar in appearance to icy ground in the arctic regions of Earth.

Phoenix touched down on the Red Planet at 4:53 p.m. Pacific Time (7:53 p.m. Eastern Time), May 25, 2008, in an arctic region called Vastitas Borealis, at 68 degrees north latitude, 234 degrees east longitude.

This is an approximate-color image taken shortly after landing by the spacecraft's Surface Stereo Imager, inferred from two color filters, a violet, 450-nanometer filter and an infrared, 750-nanometer filter.

The Phoenix Mission is led by the University of Arizona, Tucson, on behalf of NASA. Project management of the mission is by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. Spacecraft development is by Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver.

230117main_false_color_postcard_516-387.jpg

This image, one of the first captured by NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander, shows the vast plains of the northern polar region of Mars. The flat landscape is strewn with tiny pebbles and shows polygonal cracking, a pattern seen widely in Martian high latitudes and also observed in permafrost terrains on Earth. The polygonal cracking is believed to have resulted from seasonal freezing and thawing of surface ice.

Phoenix touched down on the Red Planet at 4:53 p.m. Pacific Time (7:53 Eastern Time), May 25, 2008, in an arctic region called Vastitas Borealis, at 68 degrees north latitude, 234 degrees east longitude.

This is an approximate-color image taken shortly after landing by the spacecraft's Surface Stereo Imager, inferred from two color filters, a violet, 450-nanometer filter and an infrared, 750-nanometer filter.

The Phoenix Mission is led by the University of Arizona, Tucson, on behalf of NASA. Project management of the mission is by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. Spacecraft development is by Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver.

230209main_9271_cutout_516-387.jpg

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander did a small amount of excavation as it touched down on pebbly north polar terrain on the Red Planet, as shown in this close-up view of one of the lander's three footpads.

The footpad appears to have slid a few inches as the lander touched down.

This image was taken by the Surface Stereo Imager shortly after Phoenix landed May 25, 2008.

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona/Texas A&M

psp there are bandwidth constraints the images have to be sent raw then the colour details are added later on but are studied to make sure the image isn't altered in any way to insure accuracy from a scientific standpoint.

There have been colour cameras sent to mars (on the last two rover missions) but as i have said pictures are not the main point of this mission the search for extraterrestrial life an to gain details on mars's atmosphere in the past. Also to work out what would be needed to support human life on mars for a manned mission, a 8month journey to an a 8 month journy back will not be able to hold enough water / flue ect so most of it will have to be either reclamed from mars or sent ahead of time.

The fule that we use to get to mars will mostlikly hydrogen based an hydrogen can be extracted from water so this mission will also assess that.

230121main_false_color_postcard_edr_516-387.jpg

230117main_false_color_postcard_516-387.jpg

230209main_9271_cutout_516-387.jpg

psp there are bandwidth constraints the images have to be sent raw then the colour details are added later on but are studied to make sure the image isn't altered in any way to insure accuracy from a scientific standpoint.

There have been colour cameras sent to mars (on the last two rover missions) but as i have said pictures are not the main point of this mission the search for extraterrestrial life an to gain details on mars's atmosphere in the past. Also to work out what would be needed to support human life on mars for a manned mission, a 8month journey to an a 8 month journy back will not be able to hold enough water / flue ect so most of it will have to be either reclamed from mars or sent ahead of time.

The fule that we use to get to mars will mostlikly hydrogen based an hydrogen can be extracted from water so this mission will also assess that.
8 months? I thought it was 6?

Didn't you ever watch that thing called mars rising? They have a 3 step plan I think, like sending stuff there, then 6 months later sending the crew there for a year, then coming back home. Imagine the insanity some of them would have to go through.

Yes it would be a staged mission, but the time delay varys from time of year the craft left earth orbit an some other factors most of the flight is unpowerd so things that have a large gravitational pull such as the moon can knock it slightly off course an that has to be adjusted for an to avoid them an such.

I am unsure what the term is but the human male needs time alone as most other male creatures in the animal kingdom, if you spend to much time with a member of the same sex the tension rises faster than it would if you where with a member of the opisit sex.

The Training for a astronaut is already very demanding both physically an mentally, you have to pass regular tests on your mental health to make sure you wont go nuts on a mission.

The criteria for a manned mission to mars will have to be something along the lines of Mentally balanced, non aggressive, likely no to have children (separation issues aside) there would be a public out cry if they couldn't get home or worse yet died on the trip leaving the child without a perant.

Yes it would be a staged mission, but the time delay varys from time of year the craft left earth orbit an some other factors most of the flight is unpowerd so things that have a large gravitational pull such as the moon can knock it slightly off course an that has to be adjusted for an to avoid them an such.

I am unsure what the term is but the human male needs time alone as most other male creatures in the animal kingdom, if you spend to much time with a member of the same sex the tension rises faster than it would if you where with a member of the opisit sex.

The Training for a astronaut is already very demanding both physically an mentally, you have to pass regular tests on your mental health to make sure you wont go nuts on a mission.

The criteria for a manned mission to mars will have to be something along the lines of Mentally balanced, non aggressive, likely no to have children (separation issues aside) there would be a public out cry if they couldn't get home or worse yet died on the trip leaving the child without a perant.
yea the gravational pull could knock it off course, but of course nasa probably took that into consideration already.

I would only have one problem traveling there: the mental issue. I believe what you said being around the same sex creates tension. Yea, if you know you're going to die, well, on earth, you can call your loved ones and say " I love you all blah blah", but in space, it's just a giant void, and there's no cell phone (doubt they'd have one of the cisco video streams millions of miles out into space), and to me that would be a big disappointment. It would also be annoying seeing the same faces every day... Just like if you got kidnapped for a few weeks... All you would do is what the kidnapper said: you can't do anything else, you really can't see anyone else until the cops find the abductor. Also, I don't know, but I'm guessing people can't smoke/drink during missions, so if people do in real life, quitting for a year would be HORRIBLE.

It'd be allright if they sent you up, and 3 rather nice woman.

and then a computer, outside in the shadows of space and then overclock to rediculous speeds..
play cricket on the moon.

can't say i'd have any issues. I'd get a heat proof toungston ball and throw it towards earth, and try and find it when i get back :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom