Phone/pc scam

apsoul

In Runtime
Hi, I just got a call from someone claiming they're receiving files from my computer. My father got this call once before and when he said "let me put you on with my computer guy" they hung up on him. I just received the call and tried to play dumb with them to see what they wanted. They brought up the EventViewer to "show me whats wrong with my computer". I was on a land line, not cordless, phone and had to keep running back and forth, they eventually figured it was too much waiting time and they hung up. I am curious of if any of you know what specifically they were looking for (my guess is to open up a port to them or download an infected file that would "fix" my computer). Also, I am curious of what any of you would do if you received such a call.

Hang up pretty much immediately or waste their time. They're nothing but scams.

It's a pretty common scam, and they were almost certainly trying to install some malware. Social engineering remains the #1 security threat.

I've never gotten such a call - if I did and I had the time, I'd be tempted to be a tech support nightmare for them. "What is a browser? Oh, you mean the internet? Wait, I have two internets here, which "e" did you want me to click on? I'm left handed, do I have to use my right hand to right click?"

've never gotten such a call - if I did and I had the time, I'd be tempted to be a tech support nightmare for them. "What is a browser? Oh, you mean the internet? Wait, I have two internets here, which "e" did you want me to click on? I'm left handed, do I have to use my right hand to right click?"

Exactly this :tongue: I'd have so much fun with them.

Back
Top Bottom