Phenom II X3 -> Phenom II X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, seriously, it is old now... can we just sit here and talk about this or something?

All this is is how Intel and AMD sell lower end chips of the high end versions... Such as Semprons and Celerons.... They are just chips that have defects in them and are sold at a price.

Following up on earlier reports of being able to unlock the disabled core on Phenom II X3 CPU's, techPowerUp says that AMD is stepping in on the issue.

Reports have been made about many X3's having the ability to enable the fourth core onboard, suggesting that AMD simply just marked the core as bad and was too lazy to use a laser to cut the link on the extra core.

amd_steps_in_on_unlocking_phenom_x3.jpg

While it appears that news pertaining to unlocking the fourth core has caused a surge in demand for the Phenom II X3 CPU's, AMD seems determined to rain down on enthusiasts. AMD has requested motherboard manufacturers to fix the BIOS option immediately and even gone so far as to ask them to not release motherboards with the so-called "buggy" BIOS.

AMD fears they are missing out on profits from the higher priced Phenom II X4 procs. This is probably true but everyone at AMD should have seen this coming when they dangled a part in front of consumers with features disabled that is identical to its higher priced offerings.

While future boards are likely to be released with a newer BIOS having the Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC) option gimped or disabled, you should still be able to flash back to the previous versions to see if you too can get a free core out of your Phenom II X3.

In the bigger picture though they may be making more profit. The quads come with $70 profit (theoretical figures) and the x3 makes $35 profit. With the surge in the enthusiast market saying AMD is back on top for a mid price range and people should get x3. That will be quite a lot of sales stolen as such from intels overall market majority. If they sell twice as many x3 as there original estimates then they will get the same amount of profit as originall forcasted for the phenom 2's and later on when people want to upgrade they will already have the motherboards (AM3) or the AM3 cpu therefore they will make profit on secondary sales by upgraders.

yep That's one of my source from my first post.

BTW. 48 hours ISN'T "old" news.

I think someone just wanted to insert "old news is old". lol

Nah 48 hours is defiitely old in the computer world...

part of me did want to say that though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom