PGA socket extender (Riser) Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollys13

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,
I bought PowerLeap PL Pro MMX Upgrade adapter for my 1997 socket 7 computer. The machine runs perfectly with the original Cyrix Pr 166. Though ould run a bit faster to run some music software a bit smoother.

The socket 7 has a couple of capacitors right on its edge. This prevents the PowerLeap fitting into the socket. It seems a PGA socket extender (Riser) would lift the adapter clear of the capacitors.

There problem solved, not quite, I can't find a PGA adaper extender anywhere. Can anyone help please?
Thank you,
Peter.

****!!! Have not seen any of those is a long time.
The only thing that i can advise that you might want to scout around from one Computer Forums to another.

Some one might have one.

Hi Harper,
" The only thing that i can advise that you might want to scout around from one Computer Forums to another." Yes I'm doing that I also tried computer recycling, no luck there.

The reason I got the PowerLeap. (Was a lot!!! cheaper buying on Ebay from USA, than in UK, did not cost enough to get customs vat on it either.) The reason, the board can support up to an AMD K6 266MHz. I thought as machine made in 1997 and user manual printed in 1997. The AMD K6 300 MHz was out about 1998 I think, so I assumed, board could support the 300 too. According to motherboard site, no. Anyway, I found a source for brand new OEM 300MHz chips and bought 2, had to pay bit of customs on them. So I set the jumpers on the board, neither of them ran in machine. This was before I found out the board does not support the 300. Bla,bla so I went and got 2 brand new OEM AMD K6 266MHz that the board will run on, reset the jumpers, no luck again.

So I contacted the expert volunteer techies at www.Protonic.com. To try and find out why the chips did not work. The markings did not seem to be standard, thought might be fakes,etc,etc,etc. Then I found out about PowerLeap, this would let me run a 300MHz in the machine, so can find out if genuine chips or not. If not try and get my money back off Visa, if ok can sell perhaps the other chips on Ebay and I have a machine running a 300MHz.

So as you know, I have the PowerLeap adapter but can't fit the **** in. I have been sitting at the computer as I drift about online, thinking, how about if I get an old socket 7 motherboard, than someone has trashed, get out the soldering iron and solder sucker, and carefully remove the socket 7, get out the hacksaw and saw the lip off. I'm assuming here, that the pins going into the motherboard pcb, will plug into the top of my socket 7, thus raising it clear of the capacitors. Then I can plug the PowerLeap in. All said, I have this feeling, that this will not work out!

The PGA socket extender seem to be from the era of the 486. There must be one around somewhere, but where?
I did contact Kingstone Technology who did the Evergreen upgrade adapters. I was reading some of there old product info, some of there items came with a PGA riser, thought they might have one around by chance. Contacted PowerLeap again to see if they have one, or can direct me to a source.

Anyway, bla, bla.
Have a nice day,
Peter. www.ushopugive.com help animals or environment at no cost to you. % of spend goes to group of your choice. Big name retailers participate.

Hi Apokalipse,
Thanks for that, for what I'm thinking of these are quite expensive and under warranty. I might search to see if can get just a bog standard socket 7 itself to fit in the board. I don't know though. I don't think it will fit anyway, might poss. Takes quite a lot of time on a 56 dial up connection. Earlier I contacted several old computer part sellers on Ebay, that may yeild results. Also found couple of vintage computer part seller sites that may turn up something. (took about 3 hours doing this.)
I'm reluctant to try to upgrade the actual board, time and may not really have the ability to do it. Also my dear old mum, who passed away in 2000 bought me the machine. As she didn't want me to get left behind by the tech boom.... I wasn't, computers are a means to an end, which I won't go into. The machine has sentimental meaning for me.
Cheers anyway,
Peter.

pollys13 said:
I might search to see if can get just a bog standard socket 7 itself to fit in the board. I don't know though.
Sadly I sold my last SKT 7 motherboard.

I do have some other skt 7 Compaq Deskpro System, but they are not your standard motherboard. And I am not not sure if they will take anything beyond a 166mhz CPU.

Hi Harper thanks.
I'm very pleased to be able to say I think I may have found the PGA extender. I'm not sure though, as you are much more experienced than I am. Perhaps you can give me your opinion, someone kindly put me onto this; www.costronic.com/Eframe.htm
then select CPU Protector / PGA Socket SAVER then select 321p PGA socket For Socket-7
What do you think?
Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom