Personal Projects....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok so my friend asked me to post in here for him... and I didn't know where else to go honestly.

By now I am sure everyone has heard of Fallout 3 and the Pipboy 3000 that you wear in the game...

well....

He wants to make it... and not some stupid mod for a Iphone to be placed in it either, but a real Wrist Mounted PDA, Internet connection, able to use Skype (and thus call people) and all that...

The problem is getting it to work out.

The idea was simple.. the application is proving troublesome.

I found several Touch Screen LCDs that might work - the problem is - they are just the screens, they need to be connected to a "PC" that would have to be very tiny.

I checked and found ARCHOS has some small Internet PC Tablets - but - they are widescreen and will not fit this application.

So... basically I came to the nerdiest forum I knew (no offense, cuz nerds rule) for some help.

EarthLCD.com - ezLCD-004-EDK (ezLCD004EDK)
That would need connected to the rest of the PC (and gotta find parts and all that)

I don't know what "motherboard" or how to get a wifi/etc stuff for such a small application... does anyone know any?

The other Idea was the new DSI XL - the bottom screen seems to be the size (and touch screen) for this use - but.. once again I find a problem getting the "rest of the PC" together for it all to work out. The DSI XL guts could be used but somehow it would have to only use the 1 screen and not both (possibly creating problems)

Let me know what you guys think... he's anxiously awaiting some news while he puts in overtime to pay for such a thing. (he expects it to be $2000)

Things He'd love it to do:
Touch screen so no keyboard required.
USB ports (2+)
Wifi for internet
YouTube (and other flash stuff)
MP3 play back
Possibly Movie Playback
MicroSD memory expansion
Skype (Text and Voice only - no Video) (figured the Video requirements would make it too expensive right now)
headset jacks (mic/speakers)
Notepad
Calander
Clock
Alarm Clock
Built in rechargeable battery (maybe not built into the system itself, but in to the pipboy)

remember things need kept small, and heat may become an issue since he plans to wear it. The CPU/RAM doesn't have to be outlandish - no one is going to be playing any high end games on it (maybe browser based flash ones though)

Getting the parts and figuring out how to make them all work together is main priority - getting them sized down/placed inside the pipboy where the arm could still fit through is second priority, Heat is a last priority - (there are thin Ice Sheets you can cut/freeze and put inside if need be - non condensing too)

I am hopeful guys, I want to see this happen! Show me what you got!

He has up to $2000 but I do agree with you, in order to overcome the technical challenges associated with this he'll probably have to combine an off-the-shelf PDA/smartphone etc with a shell of some kind (making that will be the fun part).

cool idea, but is it very practical? i mean, to use it you would have to raise your wrist, and one you have some sort of pda, smartphone attached to it, a rechargeable batter, the casing, its going to way a good bit lol.

You could easily gut an old PDA or smartphone for the motherboard and LCD as well as WiFi and cellular radios. As you really can't custom build a "PC" of that size you are pretty limited. You could design something using a high powered microcontroller and an LCD but you would then be dealing with nonstandard hardware and would need a lot of operating system and other software hacking to make it work.

I would get a PDA or smartphone that has been completely reverse-engineered (one that has Linux ports for instance) because you have the full potential to customize it. Failing that, an Android device would be good as those are also based on Linux and can be rooted for OS customizations. If it's going to be wrist mounted make sure you use a device with Bluetooth so you can use a headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom