Personal PC Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what I use:
brains

Mozilla Firefox 1.5

Antivir Personal Edition v7 (Beta, but works very well)

D-Link DI-524 wireless router
* NAT turned on
* SPI turned on
* 192-bit WPA (AES) encryption
* MAC address filtering

+ Windows firewall (because it doesn't use much resources anyway)

Hijackthis from time to time

I run Linux, which doesn't get infected with spyware or viruses, and I configured iptables for my firewall.

jorsoft03 said:
In your opinion. I used to have spyware problems about once a week and even the occasional virus when I was running 4-5 freeware programs on my comp. I reformatted and switched over to Norton/Spy Sweeper and have been 100% trouble free for over a year now. Well worth the $50 I spend to keep them up to date imho.

thats because norton isnt telling you you have a friggen virus!! trust me.. i've seen so many comps crawling with viruses and i ran any norton product they had and it didnt find crap compared to AVG...

anyway, im kind of a freak so here it goes...

Firefox 1.5
AVG
Spybot
Ewido
Ad-aware
Zonealarm
CW Shredder
Registry mechanic
Tweaknow Regcleaner

Hardware firewall

Trend PC-Cillon which includes:
Antivirus
Software firewall
Spyware scanning
Wi-Fi security

Always up-to-date on Windows updates

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
Well ive never had virus/spyware with my freeware choses and i didnt have to throw away $50.
Like I said, your opinion. What software we use doesn't make a difference to me personally.
Static_11 said:
thats because norton isnt telling you you have a friggen virus!! trust me.. i've seen so many comps crawling with viruses and i ran any norton product they had and it didnt find crap compared to AVG...
I do virus/spyware removals on computers almost daily and 90% of the time it's people who either had no protection or were using a freeware solution somebody had recommended. Besides, I can with AVG and NOD32 about twice a month in addition to NIS and SS which are always running. They don't find anything new either but I still use them for that extra level of protection.
syringe said:
Jorsoft Why would it be a risk?
I didn't mean that installing the freeware itself would be a risk, I do use it in addition to my regular software like I said. I meant that I've seen too many free solutions fail and not protect the user. Norton and Spy Sweeper are updated 1-2 times per week, for example, and most freeeware solutions are updated far less frequently and have much smaller libraries.
I use what works for me. I've never had a single problem using the software that I pay for and I know that I am fully protected. I didn't think some folks would get so hot about it, but whatever.

well it also depends on the type of system your running i have an x64 system and i have to use avast for my a/v but i also have a xp that i use norton and i use the xp firewall also with an old computer that runs a firewall for my whole home network this works great for me. i also use Ad-Aware SE Personal for my adaware problems. knowing a lot about these problems also helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom