Personal PC Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
TF: I was hoping to get an idea of the kind of measures must of you guys take for the security of your own comps: AV, firewalls, etc. what are your favoured combos

Knowledge, and anti-virus application. Stay updated with latest security patch,virus-spyware definition, DON'T EVER USE INTERNET EXPLORER, always use the limited account when doing web surfing on things you shouldn't be doing. Stay behind a router/firewall, and don't be stupid and click on anything you see (that's why I run in limited account when I do things...well things you shouldn't be doing). Scan for spyware atleast 3 times a month. Pretty much the best tool is knowledge, once you acquire it, you'll know.

A/V = Nod32
Firewall = Sygate
Spyware = Spybot + Ad-Aware.

Always get all updates and use opera as a browser :)

A/V + Firewall=Norton Internet Security
Spyware= Spysweeper+ Spyware Blaster
NIS and SS are about $25 each on newegg and SPyware Blaster is free. Great security set up if you ask me. I would never risk my computer's integrity with a freeware-only solution.

I use a properly configured cisco firewall (Actually a router running access-lists and CBAC)

I never use IE

Up to date Antivirus

Brains

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
Most freeware is better than Norton anyway.
In your opinion. I used to have spyware problems about once a week and even the occasional virus when I was running 4-5 freeware programs on my comp. I reformatted and switched over to Norton/Spy Sweeper and have been 100% trouble free for over a year now. Well worth the $50 I spend to keep them up to date imho.

jorsoft03 said:
A/V + Firewall=Norton Internet Security
Spyware= Spysweeper+ Spyware Blaster
NIS and SS are about $25 each on newegg and SPyware Blaster is free. Great security set up if you ask me. I would never risk my computer's integrity with a freeware-only solution.

Jorsoft Why would it be a risk? There are quiiite a few good freeware security applications out there, some of them I'd take over buying a product. Just because they are free doesn't mean that it presents a "risk" of sorts to your system, no?

By the way, I agree with you somewhat (just so you know). I have used purchased software for my system aswell as downloaded software. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't nessacarily put your computer "at risk".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom