The Perfect P4 Setup at a Fair Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybeans

In Runtime
Hello fellow gurus,

I added this thread because I am planning on upgrading my computer and thought it would be nice to get some opinions and feedback on the parts and configuration I have chosen. The plan I have set out includes the following:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800E

ATX form factor, Socket 478 (Pentium 4 up to 3.2Ghz w/ 800mhz FSB), Bus Speeds of 400/533/800mhz, PC2100/PC2700/PC3200 Dual DDR DIMM support (Up to 4GB), RAID 1, 1+0, 2, 4 SATA connections (150mbs bandwidth), two ATA 66/100 connections, Onboard NIC with 10/100/1000mbs Gigabit bandwidth, Hyper-Threading Technology compatable (Allows CPU to perform two tasks at a time seamlessly), 4x/8x AGP, 5 PCI slots, 1 onboard WiFi slot, USB 2.0 Specification w/ 8 ports, IEEE 1394 Specification (FireWire) w/ 2 ports, etc.

CPU:

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 800mhz FSB with HT technology and 512kb L1 Cache

RAM:

2 Dual Configured sticks of PC3200 DDR to match the bandwidth of the FSB (2x3200=6400mbs) for best possible performance.

Video Card:

AGP eVGA nVidia GeForceFX 5700 LE with 256MB DDR RAM

Sound Card:

Sound Blaster Live! LS with 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround, EAX Technology, 64 voice hardware, Hardware Acceleration of EAX games (takes the burden of sound processing from the CPU speeding gameplay and raising FPS), supports frequencies of 5kHz to 48kHz, 16-bit sound rendering/recording (2^16 = 65536 total settings for realisticness compared to 8-bit cards with only 256 possible configurations during recording/playback)

Storage:

120GB Maxtor 7200RPM (42mb/s Bandwidth), 2 Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM (2x42=84mb/s Bandwidth) configured using the RAID 0 specification. Striping the drives adds for double bandwidth at the cost of reliability (if one drive fails, all data is lost) <-- Still worth the bandwidth in my oppinion. These drives will be connected using ATA/100 specification (ATA/66 would work the same because real world hard drive speeds do not exceed this speed, that includes serial ATA or SATA drives, the fastest HDD I've seen ran at 10,000RPMs with a bandwidth of 50mbs).

Optical Drives:

(not significant enough to add specs)
DVD Burner
CD Burner

Power Source:

Ultra 400W ATX Power Supply with 120mm Cooling Fan

U10-9400-TL2.jpg

Case:

Q131-3202.jpg

I also plan on using wireless networking on this computer using the WiFi slot on the motherboard for LAN parties. I think this computer is gonna smoke. Give me some feedback and your professional opinions :D

lol, the piont wasn't really about the price despite the heading. I mostly wanted some comments from some people who know there computers. If you want to know, this setup will probably cost around 1000 dollars. This cost only includes the components listed above.

its pretty good but i would go with a lian li case and water cooling. Basicly i dont want to go open up the front panel all the time and if i was making it i would want to overclock so water cooling is very usefull. Very full featured motherboard but alternitavely you could use AMD Athlon64 3000+ and a NF3 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom