Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxtor® DiamondMax

• Western Digital® Caviar

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Macs certainly have their uses, but PC compatability leaves them in the dust. Our school uses almost exclusively macs (usualy running 8.6) and at least half of the time there is something seriously wrong with them. Then again anything would shrivel up and die at our school.

digitaloracle said:
Macs certainly have their uses, but PC compatability leaves them in the dust. Our school uses almost exclusively macs (usualy running 8.6) and at least half of the time there is something seriously wrong with them. Then again anything would shrivel up and die at our school.

Yes that is yet another problem. Above everything there are more apps for PC's and windows than any other system base. This alone is good enough reason for anyone to pass up a Mac.

ok you've forced me into this:

so a few sites create biased benchmarks against G5's......
ok a dual Xeon outperforms a P4, and a G5 outperforms a dual Xeon
hmmmmmmmm.........

what I absolutely hate is people saying "PC's are more compatible with software"
in fact it's the opposite. Mac's can run Windows AND Mac software, and possibly Linux (don't know a lot about Linux)
what can Windows run?? it's own software, and that's all!!!!
although Mac's have the ability to run Windows programs, it is rare that you actually get one doing so......
the only reason Windows has more software is:
there are more Windows programmers
there are hundreds of different brands that make the same type of software.

ok who made the first GUI, Mac or Windows?
......that was Mac

which OS has the least virus and hacker problems?
oh let's see..... OS X..... that would be a Macintosh OS too!!!

the reason I have XP is because it is a lot better than 98
98 crashes 100000x as much
at one point I had 2000 on it. it still got a lot of errors and didn't have the ability to run all the programs we needed, even if it can be almost as stable as a Mac.

I have a friend who upgraded to an Athlon XP 2500 and 256MB DDRRAM, which however much faster and better it is to when it had a P3 1GHZ, he constantly has to format his drive because of Windows errors....

of course XP is guaranteed to cause errors, it's a MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEM

apokalipse said:
ok you've forced me into this:

so a few sites create biased benchmarks against G5's......
ok a dual Xeon outperforms a P4, and a G5 outperforms a dual Xeon
hmmmmmmmm.........

what I absolutely hate is people saying "PC's are more compatible with software"
in fact it's the opposite. Mac's can run Windows AND Mac software, and possibly Linux (don't know a lot about Linux)
what can Windows run?? it's own software, and that's all!!!!
although Mac's have the ability to run Windows programs, it is rare that you actually get one doing so......
the only reason Windows has more software is:
there are more Windows programmers
there are hundreds of different brands that make the same type of software.

ok who made the first GUI, Mac or Windows?
......that was Mac

which OS has the least virus and hacker problems?
oh let's see..... OS X..... that would be a Macintosh OS too!!!

the reason I have XP is because it is a lot better than 98
98 crashes 100000x as much
at one point I had 2000 on it. it still got a lot of errors and didn't have the ability to run all the programs we needed, even if it can be almost as stable as a Mac.

I have a friend who upgraded to an Athlon XP 2500 and 256MB DDRRAM, which however much faster and better it is to when it had a P3 1GHZ, he constantly has to format his drive because of Windows errors....

of course XP is guaranteed to cause errors, it's a MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEM

"although Mac's have the ability to run Windows programs, it is rare that you actually get one doing so......"

Yeah that's great, just because it is suppose to be able to run that code, doesn't mean it will, as you said in most cases it wont. Therefore I was correct with my original statement, so why did you bother to contradict yourself? Also I said a single p4 can beat a dual G5. kind of funny, G5 is produced my IBM, the original makers of PC's..... It still stands, pcs a faster and wield more support. The only thing apple is good at is producing MP3 players. Also if you think a dual G5 can beat a dual xeon your mistaken... A Dual G5 running at 2.0Ghz couldn't keep up with a 3.xGhz p4... And you expect a dual G5 to beat a dual xeon?? Xeons are server chips, something the G5 was never designed for. When was the last time you seen a Mac in a server environment? I have taken many networking courses, and I have yet to seen one. As for windows 2000 and your problems, I have never had them. I can run my win2k system for months without rebooting. The only time I reboot is when I install new hardware. The only problem I have ever had with win2k is perhaps IRQ conflicts, which can be solved.

BTW- Of course a unix based os could run a linux based program! Lunux is based off of unix..... Your never going to mix diffrent source based programs though. Heh, even windows xp's compatibility mode doesn't work that well with its own old code..

"The One..."

ChaosBlizzard said:
So your saying what makes a Mac is the operating system. In which case you just load a copy of UNIX onto the system and oh look at that its now a Mac by your standards. I seriously wouldn't use a Mac if it were the best and if it was given to me for free. To me they are toys, and hence why you never see them in business. Also its not about the quantity of files, its about the quality. If Microsoft knew what they were doing pcs would have very few problems. If pcs suck then why don't you tell the governments around the world to stop building pc based super computers... Also when pcs had a price tag of $10,000 people where still buying them over Macs.

LOL! You try getting your best PC to run a 3D program like Cararra Studio 3, or MAYA PLE stabilly.

Point being, PCs (Personal Computers) are desinged to be, well, "personal computers." they just werent desinged to do anything Advanced (or useful) to be concidered better than macs. I'd say, the PC world has a long ways to go before they can come to that conclusion.

If pcs suck then why don't you tell the governments around the world to stop building pc based super computers...
You know as well as i do, that that's likeley all they can afford. besides, You try telling the lead counter terrorism agency's like the CIA or NSA to quit using their G5 servers in the war against terrorism. quite frankly, there not stupid enugh to waste their time.:p :cool:

Re: "The One..."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
LOL! You try getting your best PC to run a 3D program like Cararra Studio 3, or MAYA PLE stabilly.

Point being, PCs (Personal Computers) are desinged to be, well, "personal computers." they just werent desinged to do anything Advanced (or useful) to be concidered better than macs. I'd say, the PC world has a long ways to go before they can come to that conclusion.

You know as well as i do, that that's likeley all they can afford. besides, You try telling the lead counter terrorism agency's like the CIA or NSA to quit using their G5 servers in the war against terrorism. quite frankly, there not stupid enugh to waste their time.:p :cool:

There is a reason why supercomputers are pc based. If Apple built a super computer out of G5's it wouldn't have enough power. And according to this poll you are in the minority, those who think Macs are better than pcs anyway. As I said I have dealt with networking, Macs are never set in place as a server! Also I would like to see your Mac run 3dStudio Max. Seeming how your not even addressing the fact that a p4 can beat a dual G5 in a bench test. Your saying pcs cant do useful things and Macs can? Your entire argument lacks substance and is completely fallacious. Also pcs are much harder to use if you will. Macs are for people who can't understand an advanced computer system, such as a pc.

modemide said:
the US standard for audio editing is pro tools, which is a mac app (plus lots of expensive proprietary hardware)
:confused:

I have an uncle that went to school for music editing. He seems to like the Cakewalk company better.

http://www.cakewalk.com/

Their software is extremely advanced. What more do you need for audio editing? Perhaps the complexity of a computer would force some users into using Macs, other than that I see no real reason to choose a Mac just for that reason alone.

"The outher"

ChaosBlizzard said:
There is a reason why supercomputers are pc based. If Apple built a super computer out of G5's it wouldn't have enough power. And according to this poll you are in the minority, those who think Macs are better than pcs anyway. As I said I have dealt with networking, Macs are never set in place as a server! Also I would like to see your Mac run 3dStudio Max. Seeming how your not even addressing the fact that a p4 can beat a dual G5 in a bench test. Your saying pcs cant do useful things and Macs can? Your entire argument lacks substance and is completely fallacious. Also pcs are much harder to use if you will. Macs are for people who can't understand an advanced computer system, such as a pc.

Let me get this straight. You're trying to convince me that a 32 bit three-point-something ghz P4, is better than a 64 bit 2.5 ghz G5?

All you're doing is making accusations of things that aren't even true. And it doesnÂ’t sound like you've even read my last post. All you have is this Inconclusive Benchmark test that really never proved anything.

1.More government agencies use MAC's than PCs for their Global Positioning Systems.

2.Programs in both platforms usually require more RAM in PCs because their Bit standard is lower.

3.Macs can easily handle more than one operating system on more than one hard drive.

Shall I go on?
Not to mention that Apple was the first to create the personal computer and was later pioneered by IBM in an age old competition. Not to mention that Apple was the first to create upgradeable RAM. Macs basically created the foundation that PCs walk on.

I donÂ’t know about you, but i'm not a big fan of cheap RIP-OFFS.:cool:

Re: "The outher"

ATIRAGEPRO said:
Let me get this straight. You're trying to convince me that a 32 bit three-point-something ghz P4, is better than a 64 bit 2.5 ghz G5?

All you're doing is making accusations of things that aren't even true. And it doesnÂ’t sound like you've even read my last post. All you have is this Inconclusive Benchmark test that really never proved anything.

1.More government agencies use MAC's than PCs for their Global Positioning Systems.

2.Programs in both platforms usually require more RAM in PCs because their Bit standard is lower.

3.Macs can easily handle more than one operating system on more than one hard drive.

Shall I go on?
Not to mention that Apple was the first to create the personal computer and was later pioneered by IBM in an age old competition. Not to mention that Apple was the first to create upgradeable RAM. Macs basically created the foundation that PCs walk on.

I donÂ’t know about you, but i'm not a big fan of cheap RIP-OFFS.:cool:

So now your saying PC's are the evolved form of Macs. Yes I did read your last post. Also how is a benchmark inconclusive? Do you even know what inconclusive means? It means it never determined. As it did, the pc was faster in 58 out of the 77 bench tests. Sounds to me like the computer was faster. As for your points, pcs can also run more than one operating system on the same hard drive, or an array of them? Also how do you figure a code twice the size of 32bit takes up less ram? As well, where do you get your information on what government agencies use? I have never heard of a Mac based supercomputer, sounds to me like your making this stuff up. Also, if Mac did make the first computer as you said, they didn't end up first place in the end. Now according to you if I bought a IBM based pc it wouldn't be a "cheap rip-off", just because they made it first. So you ARE saying since they made it first its better. I don't think your contemplating before you type. Yes please go on, because so far, everything you posted a Mac can do, so can the pc, except in most cases it does it better.

Just a quick thought that I think is funny to this day.... If it weren't for mac's in the 80's with their GUI OS and the invention of the mouse by Apple, PC's may still only be using keyboards. HAHA the thought of how much Microsoft steals but then protects their own stuff with a knife to the throat.

I have never activated a copy of OS X and never will have to. But man what a pain in the ass it is to get XP on more then one computer. What a joke. These arguments make my head spin. With all the anti-microsoft stuff out there I have yet to find people that form a group for the hatred of Apple, there must be a reason for this.... I just can't think of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom