password protect files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B00mbocks

Baseband Member
do any of you guys know of anyway to password protect like a folder in my documents for files with "sensitive" information in them? is there a program that i can download that can help me with it? i am using windows xp sp2

This is a program I ran into:
Axantum Software AB | AxCrypt | File Encryption Software
AxCrypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the description on the wikipedia site. It supports AES 128.

But, first, understand the difference between "passwords" and "keys" when people usually talk about it. You need to know how much security you are looking for.

"Passwords" and secret keys have the same idea, but "how" humans view those two terms give them completely different meanings. But, in a strict crypto sense, they are both "stuff that you know that other people do not know".

Passwords are typically very short groups of strings and numbers - typically around 4-8 characters (all alphanumeric) that a person would type into the keyboard - not very secure. Where as a "secret key" takes all 256 (0-255) values in a byte * the key length in bytes - pretty secure if your key length is long (e.g. > 80 bits = 10 bytes).

Just put your pr0n on a flash drive and carry it around your neck. Geez!

i personally put my pr0n in .../program files/xerox/then make hidden folder in vista it doesn't show the size of the folder(mine is like 30gb). if youre using xp just rar it up and put a password. then add files as you dl more.

And make sure you tell us where you upload them.... im really nosey... but even if you did password protect your files (p0rn) wouldn't it still be possible for someone to just use the search, and search for all media. Wouldn't it still be possible to find?

Just put your pr0n on a flash drive and carry it around your neck. Geez!
I am 15 and my family barrows my flash drive

i personally put my pr0n in .../program files/xerox/then make hidden folder in vista it doesn't show the size of the folder(mine is like 30gb).[B\] if youre using xp just rar it up and put a password. then add files as you dl more[/B].

What does rar it up mean? and i am trying to figure out how to put a password on it.

And make sure you tell us where you upload them.... im really nosey... but even if you did password protect your files (p0rn) wouldn't it still be possible for someone to just use the search, and search for all media. Wouldn't it still be possible to find?
If you just want websites....pm me. I am not too worried about the search, it is just that my computer has an SD card reader build into the front, so sometimes my mom or sisters or whatever will down load pictures then start looking for them somewhere under my documents in a bunch of different folders ( they just dont understand that it always go into " my pictures".

Dont worry about me lol... i have my sources... RAR it up would mean get WinRAR or something ( WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files ) and put all you files in the rar acrhive (much like a zip file) than put a password on the rar file. If you even wanted to be more discreet you could install the program on a jump drive and run it from there... if anyone else tried to open it they would get the "Choose program to open this file" window. Because the rar archiver wouldnt be on the computer itself... this should work..

*Edit* WinRAR download and support. WinRAR is a powerful Windows tool to compress and decompress zip, rar and many other formats: Password protect Incase you need help with password protecting

I'm gonna download chankama's suggested program to check it out. I think I want to encrypt some data (not necessarily pr0n :D). I don't like creating rar files because they take time to decompress/recompress. But I guess for a 15 yr old who is sharing his computer some of the above are the best ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom