Packing

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all reality, it was asked that you didn't get into the politics of it Lorton, you have a valid opinion, just like I do. So to present both sides of the coin, here is mine. I pack, and I believe in the right a person has to defend themselves by anymeans necissary and the right to bear arms. For me, if you have made the decision to harm me or my family, then you have made the following decisions. 1.) your life is now forfeit
2.) You are willing to face to consequences of your actions, which dictate that I will use what ever force necissary. If im going to shoot, I shoot to kill, not maim. As long as there is more than one person in the world, there will be violence. That is human nature and no amount of "hugging" will ever change that. Police can't be everywhere at once. Try living in the Midwest.

that said, believe it or not, I pack a Walther P22. It is a Semi automatic pistol firing a .22 Long rifle round. The rounds are extremely cheap, something like .03 a round, they don't kick for anything, and they are compartivily quite. I do not have to worry about overpenetration (rounds going through the bad guy and into innocents on the other side). The smaller size and power of the .22 also mean that my round penetrates and then ricochets inside the target, causing massive damage. The Walther P22 offers a lot of the features of bigger, more expensive military grade hardware like Single Action/Double action, an integrated picatinny rail, Hi-vis three dot sights, multiple redundant safeties, a loaded chamber indicator, last round lock open, a 10 round box magazine, tool-less field stripping for cleaning, and easy maintenance and customization.

Revolver vs Semi auto does not denote power, only technology, formfactor, and capacity. Yes, there are some rounds that traditionally come in one formfactor versus the other. You don't see a whole lot of 9mm revolvers. I only know of one .44 remington mag semi (desert eagle).
There are other issues to consider for concealed carry. Size, weight, reliability, penetration, stopping power. Form factor not so much. There are hammerless revolvers, and semi's with hammers. You have Single action and double action. I can get a revolver with a one inch barrel and a pistol with a 7 inch barrell. First get a formfactor that you are comfortable with, and a caliber that you can shoot well. I don't care how big a handcannon you are packing, when it comes to a situation, you are the one firing that gun, and you have to operate that weapon like it is an extenstion of your own body.

a gun wouldnt make things any better...

The only people i know that carry guns are Coorperate Bankers, and People who sell diamonds (and carry around millions of dollars worth)

Anyway, here is the Michigan Consealed weapon overview:
AG - Concealed Weapons Overview

Getting a gun would only make things worse.

What if the other person is packin' heat too? You've got 2 people pointing guns at eachother. Where does it get you? nowhere.

It just gets someone shot.

Normally I would agree- sometimes we think "whats the point", but generally when you are faced with a deadly situation, it's your basic instinct to defend yourself. There will always be bad guys. And bad guys have a wide choice of instruments to do good guys harm. Not all bad guys have guns. Many have knives. And even if we both had guns, I would rather be the second guy with a gun than the guy with no gun. Until we see absolute peace, I feel more comfortable with the idea of carrying than not. I'm sure everyone has heard the phrase, "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

Some of the advantages of concealed carrying: The 'bad guy' doesn't know your packing. 'Good guys' don't know your packing (no need to freak out people and get 'man-with-a-gun' calls). An alternative to concealed-carry (aside from not carrying at all) is "open-carry". It's perfectly legal here in Michigan, and no permit is required, but it's not common. And because it's not common, people aren't really comfortable seeing a guy walking around with a pistol on his person.

Anyway, I was considering the .38 special snub because of it's size, it's ease of use in a stressful situation (point and click), and its cost. It's sort of like a "if it's not broke don't fix it" weapon. Anyway, these were my top choices:

Rossi R35102 .38 SPECIAL +P ($300)
Rossi R46102 .357 MAGNUM ($300)
Glock 33 .357 SIG ($500)

Nebraska just passed a conceal carry law, that went into effect Jan. 1 this year. As such, I don't yet have the permit, but I do have the gun.

I've got a .380 semi-auto that I will use. It's pretty compact, and a double-action, so all I have to do is pull.

When I was looking, I couldn't really afford a big gun. I also wasn't too interested in a 9 mm, as I've read that they have a tendency to overpenetrate.

I still need to check the Nebraska conceal carry law, but if it's not illegal, I plan on loading hollow points or soft points. They expand quicker, do more damage, and are less likely to go through your target.

Like hillbillybob said, if you attack me or my family, you're not going to have a chance to live and talk about it.

Also keep in mind...If you do shoot someone in ''self defence''

and you do kill them, you will still goto prison (depending on how your DA reacts)

Thou shall not kill.

What a BS. Come on sissies, killing can be neat! I'm sure lots of you have done it in a computer game, but I can assure you, it's much more thrilling in reality! Talk about adrenaline rush! And the graphical effects are so much better: blood gushing and dripping, limbs twitching, muscles tearing. With that in mind, I recommend a shotgun. To you, your loved ones and everyone who cares about safety. Besides, it's the only way to make sure that those annoying unknown persons won't dare to come to your backyard more than once. You know these "Sorry, I seem to be lost, could you tell me..." or "My car broke down and...". Yeah right punk, wrong backyard... Let's make the world a safer place.

If it's in self-defense (meaning you reacted to a situation where you felt you are in imminent peril), you will not go to prison. It's called "justifiable use of force", and most states (if your actions are justifiable) give criminal and civil immunity to the defender.

In 2006, Michigan clarified a lot of its self defense laws in favor of the defender. We have a Castle Doctrine (meaning we can defend ourselves without obligation to retreat, as long as we are in a place where we are legally allowed to be). Of course, there will always be a criminal investigation, but as long as I'm in the clear (which I'm positive I would be if I draw), I have no worry about jailtime or lawsuits, and I walk away from a situation where I could have otherwise been killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom