Opinions on my Resume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last point under "skills", the word have is mispelled.

I would also recommend including a few of your hobbies under a final section. Also, I recommend printing it off on a paper that isn't white. Not some totally distinct dark purple or anything like that, but maybe something with a bit of a shade. Why? It makes your resume stand out from the other ones.

Oh, and "experiences" is spelled wrong in the last two subtitles.

Also be sure to include a letter of recommendation as well as a couple of additional references.

Okay, no offence, but if this landed on my desk, it would be saying NEXT!

Combine both your WORK EXPERINCE and VOULNTEER EXPERINCE together.

Also list them cronologically.
Part Time Worker. McMaster University. 3-4 Months

Should be some thing like this :-

McMaster University Department of Medicine - START DATE (Month / YEAR) END DATE (Month / YEAR)
And the give the employeer some details of what you have done there. List your duty down there of what you actually do.

EDUCATION. you might want to put any from education behind after your WORK EXPERINCE. Also beef it out with any major achievement that you have done in school. Like your Interduction To Aviation Course.

SKILLS
Very smart in the Area of computers.
In WHAT areas of computers? List them out. Computer is a very big area.
And put every thing down.
List down the computer programs and operating sistems that you are confortable with. And yes, include things like MS WINDOWS and MS WORD.
Same goes with electronics and audio.
Computer gamer for over 5 years.
Unless you are getting a job at EB Games or at a CyberCafe, leave that out. Even though I am a Gamer myself, i don't really care to have some one that seems to list GAMING as one of their high points under my employ. (especially MMOLRPGer that have is habit of walking in half dead to the world)
-I build my own computers and I haver 4 in my house and are used to fixing all of their problems.
You will not need this if you list down your computer skills in that earlier point.

Any ways, I would comment some more, but I just got my morning deliveries coming in which will keep me busy for the next 2 hours.

Anyways, when I get hoome I will sent you a copy of my resume. This should give you some ideas.

Trotter said:
You've got a PM.

I got 3 :D

Thanks im making those changes.

And the give the employeer some details of what you have done there. List your duty down there of what you actually do.

I would personally rather have them guess what I was doing, unless I can think of a better title for cutting labels to go on patient files.

And once again, it maybee criticism of my resume, but it's constructive criticism :p

EDIT: I put computer gamer under hobbies instead.

EDIT: References will go on a seperate sheet. I am not posting those on the internet :p

Try to keep it on one page, the people who are looking for employee's don't want to read your whole life story, they dont want to know your dogs name nor if you actually have a dog, try keep it short as possible - you want the employeer to read your resume and then when they put it down and continue reading other peoples resumes for them to be still thinking about yours, also you may add that you can socialize, that you go out on a regular basis - this is giving the impression that you can work with people, that you can also work well groups, teams. If you added socialize in the resume the job may have work organizations where they go out to the town or a party, its not going to have a good affect if you dont like to speak to people or go out.

Also I am considering a job in the professional audio equipment area

-

Correct It Too: "I am also considering a job", if you are applying towards a audio equipment job then add this but if you are applying to work as a BinMan, why the hell does he want to know this? They could think - is this just a job until he can find a better one? If so, whats the point in hiring him? There isn't a point.

You also need to change the layout of the CV (Resume), it's far to messy, if I looked at that... well infact I wouldn't look at it, it's all about first impressions. Make the frist impression and you are garentee'd a better chance for the job also your appearence is of the upmost importance if you actually get the interview, but you don't need to know that yet (Post back if you do get the job interview though)

Also add in your "Current Skills" you are good with word processing, databasing and excel. By all means do not add Microsoft or any branded names if possible keep them to an alternative name: Mircosoft Word 2003 should be Word Processing, etc. I can't remeber why you don't use branded names but you don't as told by my teachers and others.

Edit this too: I build my own computers and I have 4 in my house and are used to fixing all of their problems.

To: I can now build my own computers, I currently have four in my household that are used for repairng, tweaking and testing the hardware and the software.

Include the dates in which you attended school. xx/xx/xx

Also name any grades you have gotten, from school or college etc, they like to know they are hiring a overall smart person not just a person who is good at this, they also want to know he is good at that.

Also what is this? - CoD, CS:S \ HL2:DM - What if the person you are applying too doesn't play games? What if you are applying to a Game Store but they don't play games or they use different names? Also I am A DJ? wtf is this? you are a DJ that DJ's what, are you good at it? what songs have you made/producced if any? are you actually thinking about becoming a DJ? I would leave this out or extend on it, make it more interesting.

RE-Post the edited version's and we can give you more advise.

*Read here, I'll try edit it as often as I can think of something or spot a fault

Ok the resumes are updated and I used 90% of the advice given.

I also find that putting down Cadets in their does alot for the other field due the general impression of them around here (which is VERY good)

Just for your information, I am an operations manager. Part of my duties is to look at resumes when we have a position avalable.
DJ-CHRIS said:
I would personally rather have them guess what I was doing, unless I can think of a better title for cutting labels to go on patient files.
If I have to guess what some one is doing, then I get the feeling they are hiding some thing. If I get the feeling that some one is hiding some thing at a job interview, then I am less likely to hire them.
ApM said:
Try to keep it on one page, the people who are looking for employee's don't want to read your whole life story.
Good Point.

But it also depend on the position. If it's your first job, then keep it to one page. But if you have been in the industry to for a 10 years so, them you might need to spread it out a little.
But also I cut back on some of the earlier stuff too.

Like my current resume will not have my job as SuperMarket Night Fill on it. (unless I feel that it will have an advantage in the job that I am going for)

DJ-Chirs,
Just a question? What sort of job are you going for? Or it this just going to be a general resume that you just give out for any Tom D!ck and Harry?

DJ-CHRIS said:
I also find that putting down Cadets in their does alot for the other field due the general impression of them around here (which is VERY good)
Yes, you want to leave that down. I think I still have my involvement in Boy Scouts on mine.
(then again, it's been about 5 years since I did any thing with my resume)

Ok i guess I will carefully word what I was doing at the university. I dont have anything to hide.

DJ-Chirs,
Just a question? What sort of job are you going for? Or it this just going to be a general resume that you just give out for any Tom D!ck and Harry?

This resume will go to a computer store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom