openoffice.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayce said:
Then how the hell can I get the figures I did?

As soon as I start OOo (soffice.bin and soffice.exe), it's at around 34 MB in the memory usage screen. When I "wait" for a few seconds, it drops to 3-5MB.

When I just opened a file, it went upto 34 MB again. Seems to be stable at that level.

Qiranworms said:
Ah...so there are other TeX users here. Anything I type with the intention of printing out I do in LaTeX now. The documents look nice, math typesetting is excellent, and at this point, I actually find it less cumbersome and quicker to work with LaTeX rather than word processors.

Yup TeX is great. I do all of my reports in MikTex :D.. The typesetting is very nice and quick. You just can't beat the math system in LaTeX.

Chankama said:
As soon as I start OOo (soffice.bin and soffice.exe), it's at around 34 MB in the memory usage screen. When I "wait" for a few seconds, it drops to 3-5MB.

When I just opened a file, it went upto 34 MB again. Seems to be stable at that level.

Yup TeX is great. I do all of my reports in MikTex :D.. The typesetting is very nice and quick. You just can't beat the math system in LaTeX.

I'm sorry, it's been a long day. Are you confirming my findings, or Tyler's?

Well.. Neither I guess. My computer uses much more resources for OOo than on yours. Could be the fact that you have set OOo to "load" at startup. So that when you actually click on the application, the difference is not that much. In my case, OOo completely shuts down when I close it.

As for what Tyler said, I don't think he's right. As I've said, the chance of MS Office using 3.5 MB is insane. I don't have any #'s. I am just guessing. As I've said, even Adobe Reader needs 10MB (I have 4 pdfs open < 1MB total in size). If I had to guess, I'd say OOo is much more efficient. Note, that I don't have the official MS Word #s.

Chankama said:
Well.. Neither I guess. My computer uses much more resources for OOo than on yours. Could be the fact that you have set OOo to "load" at startup. So that when you actually click on the application, the difference is not that much. In my case, OOo completely shuts down when I close it.

As for what Tyler said, I don't think he's right. As I've said, the chance of MS Office using 3.5 MB is insane. I don't have any #'s. I am just guessing. As I've said, even Adobe Reader needs 10MB (I have 4 pdfs open < 1MB total in size). If I had to guess, I'd say OOo is much more efficient. Note, that I don't have the official MS Word #s.

Is there anyway I can view the exact amount of RAM each program uses?

Cuz I have Office 2000 loaded on this computer to test it... Even though it's not 2003, but still... should be close...

Just look at the task manager [Ctrl + Alt + Delete] and then check out the processor tab.. It shows all the memory usage.

So I was right in the OOo usage. It is around 35 MB. As for Word, I don't know why that guy kept saying "10x". Based on those numbers, it was 4x at the worst. Now, is this noticeable on a modern age computer? Nope.

IE uses about 18MB and Firefox on my system uses about 125MB. In comparison, OOo uses about 35 MB and Word about 10 MB.

Why make such a big deal about this? In the big scheme of things, this is not a lot of memory. The "times" factor might be big, but not that "actual number".

Save the $250 (or whatever) and go buy a beer :)..

I honestly don't notice any "performance" lag when I am using OOo. Not like I am playing Doom 3 while writing a report at the same time :rolleyes:.. The worst you could be doing would be ripping a DVD or something I guess or some video encoding.

So if memory is such an issue, save the $250 bucks, go get your another 2 GB of RAM to your system with that money and start using OOo.

Chankama said:
So I was right in the OOo usage. It is around 35 MB. As for Word, I don't know why that guy kept saying "10x". Based on those numbers, it was 4x at the worst. Now, is this noticeable on a modern age computer? Nope.

IE uses about 18MB and Firefox on my system uses about 125MB. In comparison, OOo uses about 35 MB and Word about 10 MB.

Why make such a big deal about this? In the big scheme of things, this is not a lot of memory. The "times" factor might be big, but not that "actual number".

Save the $250 (or whatever) and go buy a beer :)..

I honestly don't notice any "performance" lag when I am using OOo. Not like I am playing Doom 3 while writing a report at the same time :rolleyes:.. The worst you could be doing would be ripping a DVD or something I guess or some video encoding.

So if memory is such an issue, save the $250 bucks, go get your another 2 GB of RAM to your system with that money and start using OOo.

I have 2gb of RAM. This really isn't for me, you see my girlfriend is at college on her HP laptop which has 386mb of RAM. Because she has no patience for lagging computers I was trying to find the best solution for her so she can listen to music/music videos as she does reports so it'll run smooth.

As I said earlier, after I started this thread I realized I had a ripped Office 2000 copy. It works on my computer, so I'll just give her that to use for now. Then maybe when I hit the lottery and can afford some of MS's ridiculously priced products I'll upgrade.

AbiWord is a Free alternative that has a VERY small footprint. Of course, the features it has might not be enough. Should check it out nonetheless.

Well.. when the time comes, you should just use that money to build her a new desktop or just upgrade the amount of RAM she has on her laptop. :) Then you can use OOo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom