Omg, Huge Deal: Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is true, Hendry is a F***ing idiot. Soriano has been good, but never good enough to command that amount of money for that many years. He did have a good season last year, but its his one and only 900+OPS season in his career. He is NOT an elite player now, and will probably only be average near the end of his contract. Lets just hope it ends up being something more reasonable. $136million/8 is just ridiculous.

Now watch them go out and sign Zito and Meche, Padilla, or Suppan for huge contracts.

Soriano is one of the most overrated players out there.

Edit: Let me say, I agree to this in principle, they needed something like this, but the money is just ridiculous. The money could have been spent much better (i.e. sign Drew and a starting pitcher for about the same amount of $$$). I just hope they don't bat him leadoff.

I agree, they do need to sign a SP, but this years crop of free agents just isn't very good. Zito is asking for too much money (Zito=overrated). Schmidt is probably the best option out there. The best option for the Cubs is to sign Schmidt and win the rights to Igawa, assuming that they will get reasonable contracts (which is very unlikely).

Indeed. We can hope though.

What do you think we should do about CF? Resign Pierre? Or maybe bring up Pie from the Minors?

I'm not too familiar with the Cubs minor league system (I'm half split between Cubs and Mariners and I know more about the M's), so I don't have any opinion about internal solutions.

As for free agents, they could try Soriano out in CF. Matthews Jr, might be a viable option except he's demanding too much $$$ and his numbers have probably been inflated because of Texas (80 point difference between home and away OPS).

The best option would probably sign someone cheap (maybe Roberts) until an internal option is ready, or trade for someone.

sports are lame. People dont even play the game because they enjoy it. They play it for the huge contracts.

It's ridiculous that someone should get paid $136 million dollars for playing a stupid game like baseball for 8 years. Yeah, we really have our priorities straight.

Nubius said:
sports are lame. People dont even play the game because they enjoy it. They play it for the huge contracts.

It's ridiculous that someone should get paid $136 million dollars for playing a stupid game like baseball for 8 years. Yeah, we really have our priorities straight.

You think thats ridiculous? The Red Sox paid $51 million just for the rights to negotiate with Matsuzaka. For a little bit of perspective, that $51 million is three times Seibu's payroll (the team the Sox paid for the rights to negotiate). On top of that, they still have to pay the actual player, probably $10+ million per year over 3+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom