Olympics 2004 Athens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inaris said:
Ken,

Are the Xgames any different? Those are as sponsered or maybe more so then even the Olympics. It's no different.

You don't see countries pour tons of money into skateboarding althetes?

Besides, the Culture is based in the same sence as the Olympics. It's a competitions to see who is better. That in and of it's self is the Culture that the Olypics and such things have fostered for thousands of years.

Competition is culture? When I'm talking about culture of skateboarding, I'm talking about the scene, skateboarding as art form mixed with graffiti art, hip hop/punk music. That's culture.

And yes, even Canada is the same way. Pro Hockey. Go figure... They pay them to be very good at what they do. They not being the State, but sponsers and ticket holders. It is the same for every athlete that competes in the world. If you are good enough, and are seen enough, someone will want to market you...

The NHL teams pay their athletes handsomely but Canada does not pay their Olympic athletes well. Other countries do.

That's another point. Shouldn't we be celebrating our soldiers, peace keepers, shouldn't they be getting more recoginition then our athletes? " A hockey player gets paid millions to entertain some couch potatoes, a soldier in Iraq gets paid peanuts to risk his life? " Doesn't make sense.

The Olympics were part of a destructive society, the Roman Empire, which eventually led to owns demise. I just think we have better things to celebrate.

you couldnt be more wrong ken.

Olympics is culture and tradition , OOLLLLD tradition .

I agree on the point that atheletes get paid so much for "nothing" while soldiers get nothing to risk their lives. BUUUUT

anyone can go to war and be a soldier while only the select few ccan become PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES

Its the same thing as comparing construction workers to like engineerrs. Anyone can be a construction worker (which is hard labour and bad for u, also harder than being an engineer) but u gotta go to school to be an engineer.

So if u dont like the olympics , simply change the channel n stop complaining

Just to let you know, the Olymips started way before the Romans. The romains took what the greeks did and moved it along. The Greeks gave us the olympics, and the Greeks were a thinking people.

What pay is given to athletes from other countries? show me where an athlete is being paid by the state to participate in the olympics. i would liket to know.

I have had so many classes on the subject of Western Civ. Inaris is right, the Geeks invented it. So many thousands of years ago and they are still alive today. I would like to see skateboarding last that long. Graffiti...it can be artistic if it isnt illegal. On the sidewalks and trains, that is not culture.

guess123 said:
you couldnt be more wrong ken.

anyone can go to war and be a soldier while only the select few ccan become PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES

So if u dont like the olympics , simply change the channel n stop complaining

What would u rather do? Be on the front line of a battle being shot at... or swimming as fast as u can so u can get a medal?

some of you (especially Ken) have missed the point completely. i suggested that you read up on the Olympics which apparently you neglected. now you come here and make a fool out of yourself and on top of that, you're insulting me and MY culture. i don't appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom