Olympics 2004 Athens

Status
Not open for further replies.
No culture in skateboarding??? Are you crazy, where do you live? There's more culture in skateboarding then there is in fencing? Look how commercial the olympics are, all the sponsors, it's just sad. Skateboarding and the likes are are an art form and people do it for the love of the culture and art form. Olympic athletes, in some countries, not Canada, are paid a lot to master an event and get their countries medals. That's just sad. So ya I stick with my statement, Olympics are pathetic, my opinion. ;)

Ken,

Are the Xgames any different? Those are as sponsered or maybe more so then even the Olympics. It's no different. Besides, the Culture is based in the same sence as the Olympics. It's a competitions to see who is better. That in and of it's self is the Culture that the Olypics and such things have fostered for thousands of years.
Just because someone is paid to do something doesn't make it anyless special. I get paid to work/fix computers. I'm very good at it, and being good at it is why I am paid. So, it goes to reason that athletes no matter what sport/event/comptition can be paid if they so choose.
And yes, even Canada is the same way. Pro Hockey. Go figure... They pay them to be very good at what they do. They not being the State, but sponsers and ticket holders. It is the same for every athlete that competes in the world. If you are good enough, and are seen enough, someone will want to market you...

but then that is only my opinion...

Ah! The men's US basketball team just lost to Puerto Rico. Dissapointing.

Ryan:
I think tonight, they're doing the 30,000th rerun of the X-GAMES, take a look at all the walls and pads around the arenas, what do you see? I think you've got your world-wide competitions mixed up.

"And now time for the Mountain-Dew instant replay of this vert championship"

that was a sad show from the US basketball team. we'll see what they do Tuesday with Greece!

thanks for everybody that supported the ideals of the Olympics and despite all the commercializing of the Olympics, it is the purpose and the idea that stand behind the Olympics that make it so special.

i suggest you read up on it Ken.

lol do u?

and theres still 2000000 tickets to be sold in Athens what i think is that people dont like the olympics or they dont want to die from the arabs............

Dont want to die from the arabs??? What is that supposed to mean? Do some geography and you will find out that Greece is not in the middle east.

But it is close. There is still alot of fear out there as to the safety of such events. The Olympics that where held in Atlanta were not in the Middle east either, but yet they say terror. Who is to say that prining it closer to their door step will not make it easier...

I just hope no one get hurt, and we can just enjoy them for what they are.

GameGURU said:
Really, skateboarding is hardly culture.

Lol, depends on your definition of culture. Hip hop/punk music, graffiti, skateboarding might not be your idea of culture, but regardless it's still huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom