old technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, PCs and Macs do exactly what they were designed to do. Macs, because of their price and somewhat limited distribution (now I see them only at Circuit City, Compusa, and Direct Order from Apple), simply can not compete with the PC market at this time. Therefore, Apple has targeted them towards businesses and niche groups, such as high-end rendering and graphics applications, which they can do (admittedly) better than PCs.

My point is that this is what Macs are currently DESIGNED to do, and they do their job perfectly fine.

They aren't underpowered, either. They run at and above 3 Ghz just like Athlon 64's and use a similar 64 bit processor. They have gobs of memory and fairly powerful graphics cards. It's not like I love Macs (I never use them unless I have to, since I know the PC so much better), but I don't bash them. I even own one: I pulled a perfectly good PowerMac out of my neighbor's trash can after their garage sale ;-)

Even though people may do something that is illogical, it gives no one the right to call them names. Many people do add to illogical claims and they know nothing about it themselves. They are perpetrating something that is wrong. But please refrain by calling them names, especially when you know that people do that and you direct the comments at them.

So, if you'e wondering who snipped that. I did. If you have an issue with that, please PM me.

Dave :D

"The knights of the old republic..."

Gee.- I'd love to debate you on this one DMO. But unfortunately, your mailbox is full.

I know the things that I was saying were ruthless and evil nonetheless they were necessary. For instance if you spent a tremendous amount of time and money making a movie, it finally opens in theaters, and not many people come to see it, because friends and family members of the customers tell them that itÂ’s a bad movie, even though theyÂ’ve never seen it before themselves, that would make you as well as anyone angry.

IÂ’m not angry, in fact, IÂ’m glad you did what you did. But as long as there are people like that, there is NO LIMIT to the things that they can do! And I posted as harshly as I did because I felt that was the only way to get them to stop! Â… But at least I got my point acrossÂ…
:) :cool:

jorsoft03 said:
Hey, PCs and Macs do exactly what they were designed to do. Macs, because of their price and somewhat limited distribution (now I see them only at Circuit City, Compusa, and Direct Order from Apple), simply can not compete with the PC market at this time. Therefore, Apple has targeted them towards businesses and niche groups, such as high-end rendering and graphics applications, which they can do (admittedly) better than PCs.

My point is that this is what Macs are currently DESIGNED to do, and they do their job perfectly fine.

They aren't underpowered, either. They run at and above 3 Ghz just like Athlon 64's and use a similar 64 bit processor. They have gobs of memory and fairly powerful graphics cards. It's not like I love Macs (I never use them unless I have to, since I know the PC so much better), but I don't bash them. I even own one: I pulled a perfectly good PowerMac out of my neighbor's trash can after their garage sale ;-)

actually you are wrong, macs are not better at high-end rendering. In fact they are much worse, i suggest you know what you are talking about before you shoot your mouth off. Macs are alright for graphics design. They are probabaly best for video editing and audio editing uses, such as high end video editing software including final cut pro. Than again you ahve both adobe premiere, and after affects that work just as well on the PC. It really becomes program preference though.

Before this turns into a flame war, at least check your own facts before correcting someone elses. Rendering is achieved via an algorithm. This algorithm cares little what architecture it is run on. This bascially means that you could achieve the same rendering results on practicly any architecture that has ever been implemented. The only difference you would notice in the final outcome is the time it took to produce.

It is not given that the new G5 architecture would be any worse than the equivalent Intel or AMD architecture.

The difference is what software is available for the different flavours of hardware.

High end rendering algorithms tend to be proprietry and therefore only available through paid software.

The only main 3d app for the PC that isn't present on the mac is 3D Studio Max. It's such a pain to use that I don't think this is too much of a problem anyway.

Maya Unlimited has recently been announced for Mac OS X which will bring it into line with windows, irix and linux.

lightwave 3D is already available for mac.

At the end of the day use the platform that works for you, it will save you stress...

mine DEFINATELY doesnt do the job for me ...
i like playing games.. i get low fps and lag in just about everything
Wc3/Steam/many other games that i cant play :(
i also cant edit w3 maps run photoshops.
i also cant play games while running music minimizing games crashes games! argh!!!!!

"I feel your pain..."

The sickest part about it, is that mine used to do all of that! But the war I went through to fix this thing cost me EverythingÂ…. Â…. I donÂ’t even want to talk about it.
:angry: :( :cool:

The one reason why i use a PC over a MAC : Im a gamer and I like to play games when they are released....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom