old technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

winblowz

In Runtime
OK... Some people hate macs. Some people hate PC's. Other people mock old technology. Some people hate having such old computers. But what I've seen over my short life span has brought me to the following statements.

If your computer, handheld, whatever you run gets the job done--its fine. I once mocked my math teached for running an old imac... lowest resolution. But it got his job done--it kept grades etc. If you have a personal preference based on proffession/occupation, thats great.

If you haven't tried something, don't mock it. And furthermore, if you don't know what your talking about, don't make rumors about it.

I'd love to run a 64... I dont need one though. My xp 2500 does the job plenty. So do my integrated graphics. All I use my comp for now for is programming, which... most likely a pentium 3 or even 2 would do fine. :D

something to think about
Al

I used to use an Amiga 1200 and my friends took the pee out of me for - back then they had 486 and Pentium machines, which weren't all that much faster than my expanded 1200, but I also did far more on my machine that they did, or could, on theirs - back when deluxe paint and octamed for the Amiga were the dog's testes.

“Extortion…”

I’ll have to agree with ‘Winblows’ on this one. A while back, I started a poll about Macs and PCs and which platform was better. Most people said PCs. (Which was expected…) So I decided to ask some of them why. They said it was because they weren’t as good as PCs. (Not true…) So I asked them where they got that idea from, and most of them said that ‘Someone’ told them so. So I asked them exactly what that person said was wrong with them, they said that they weren’t fast enough, (Bullsh***,) they weren’t stable enough, (BULL-SH****!) and that they had too-many problems. (I have 600 benchmark tests from 32 different companies that would prove otherwise…) A psychologist once studied natural human tendencies, and discovered that ‘humans’ fear change to some degree.

I HATE when people generalize like that, so IÂ’ll say this:
People, who think that Macs suck, are only saying that because they likely never used one, or never used it enough to know the difference. Allot of people say that they are bad because they aren’t as ‘POPULAR’, you don’t see them in commercials, or you don’t know anyone with one. Also that ‘Macs’ aren’t something that they are used to. [SNIPPED]

* IÂ’ll say it again! *
If you fit into this category, then you should take a good hard look at yourself. But the LEAST you could do is NOT LIE ABOUT IT for goodness sake!!!! But the rest of us that know better, are those of us that use them for ourselvesÂ….

Just so youÂ’d knowÂ…
:mad: :cool:

PCs suck. Amigas with their overpriced and outdated hardware rule!

I used Macs at college. I must say I prefered them - theres something less "clunky" about them.

i tell you what i hate, disgruntled hard core mac users! he he
i have nothing against macs, i seriosly considered buying one until i build my first computer

I have to agree with winblowz on this one. A computer is only as good as how well it does the job for you. If it's not working for you then find something better.

ATIRAGEPRO, you are right, people do fear change. They invest a lot of time and emotion in learning how to use the products they have bought. And for some this is a real challenge, ie. this stuff does not come easy. Why have to go through all of that again?

I think that macs and IBM's both have their target audiences...

IBM's for the "Hey, let's build it ourse;ves" crowd, and for people like me who like to "play" with technology, and corporations like them, because they can customize an IBM-compatible machine to any level of shell or otherwise customization they require .

Also is the factor that you can pick your OS (Windows, UNIX, DOS, whatever you want), and assuming that the processor can handle it, you can run it.

Thats what I don't particulary like about Mac ; granted, they have the Darwin-Unix side of Mac OSX to run unix, but if you wanted a full-UNIX machine(without all the mac comforts), it would be a little bit more difficult to do.

Macs seem to be marketed towards elementary schools, teachers, administration, and the creative half of the world, who's primary focus is that "When i turn it on, I don't have to mess with it to get it to work". Also, Mac users are immune from a lot of viruses, as they aren't the target of the "Cracker" mindset's agression.

Although it seems more and more high schools that i've heard of are switching to IBM for their business kabs. Some even their primary access labs (like at my HS) are switching to IBM vs. the Macs. There are really two reasons that our network admin dude gave...

1. He wanted to lock-down the machines, so that the students couldn't cause the Citrix link to come down so easily.

2. More businesses run the IBM architecture and the Windows interface, and so they feel that to adequetely prepare the students, they should be on IBM-compatible machines.

Then again, just my perspective on it. I myself am the "IBM- let me build it myself" mindset instead of the "mac" mindset.

Hope this isn't a flame-starter, as it didn't specifically attack anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom