Ok, so I've got the car, now what audio upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would be surprised lance...just putting that info out there.

Lots of people make the peak power mistake...yeah memphis is good. I still dont know what ill be putting into my vehicle...i was thinking polk's at first but now im thinking alpine type-r's.

Ok, so its the RMS that matters and not peak? I was kind of wondering about that one myself. That's good news. Wow, this is so complicated :p

Can anyone do me a good investigation and link me to a good amp with good RMS as well as a good 10" sub with good RMS? Also, for what I want, would this deck work:

JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®/Satellite Radio/HD Radio-Ready CD Deck - KDG340

I want something that has red/black as the colors to match the car, and I want it to be iPod (or just auxiliary) ready and handle the stock speakers plus the sub and amp I wanna add. Anything around the $100 or less point would be great.

I didnt look at anything on ebay. I was just putting out a couple suggestions. If you have a car toys or anything like that, i'd suggest going there and telling them how much money you have to spend. That way they can show you what options you have. Dont have to buy it there, but you can at least get a feel for what you can get, then go from there. Just like building a computer, dont rush into buying anything, do your research and buy quality components.

I havent built a system in a few years (decade) so i'm not sure whats good or not anymore. But back when i was still into that sort of thing, i prefered fosgate equipment because it was a good bang for the buck and quality equipment.

A good basic deck that can handle what I want?
SONY XPLOD CDXGT42IPW CDX-GT42IPW CD MP3 CAR CDXGT420IP - eBay (item 380075924263 end time Nov-01-08 09:05:59 PDT)

Good amp?
Sony XM-2002GTW (xm2002gtw) Mono Subwoofer Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
# RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 200 watts x 2 chan.
* 4 ohm: 500 watts x 1 chan.

Good sub with enclosure?
Rockford Fosgate P3L-S12 (p3ls12) Angled Subwoofer Systems Enclosed Car Subwoofer Systems Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
# Power Handling:

* Peak: 800 watts
* RMS: 400 watts

A bit random, but what do you think of this? I've got a red 2000 Mustang and I wanna add stripes or atleast fill in the back lettering with black.
Black Mustang Lemans Stripes - 8in (79-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

In today's equipment, Fosgate has sold out to the cheapo side.

Anything car audio/sony related is generally avoided. The head unit may be ok, but their amps and subs/ speakers are sub-par at best.

Look into a used amp if you can.

1000 watts
MEMPHIS ST1000D MONO AMP CLASS D 1100 RMS - eBay (item 150306304639 end time Oct-31-08 21:57:36 PDT)

500 watts (not sure if this is table to 1 ohm)
Memphis 16-PR1.500 Car Amp - eBay (item 230304044689 end time Nov-03-08 20:14:44 PST)

Speakers are up to you. If you want sound quality some older gen. JL audio's are rated as some of the best for SQ. Polk makes some clear waves too.

If you are looking for boom boom, then putting a MTX jackhammer in a ported enclosure will get you the best results.

For a head unit, something with more Volts on the "pre-amps" will send a stronger signal to your amp. Giving a cleaner sound.

Aww. Fosgate sold out to crap? Just goes to show how long its been. Although even back 10 years ago, i still prefered the old school black series amps.

Anyone know if Kickers are good? My friend who has been installing everyone's systems for ages is going to hook me up with a 10" Kicker L7 with 1200W max 600W RMS and a good 800W amp. He's only charging me like $75 for all installation and gets good prices on the rest of the stuff, too. Plus he's gonna let me listen to the stuff before I decide if I want it! Not sure how he does it, but it sure is awesome!

Ya, kicker makes some pretty good subs.

I just built my new box on saturday. My speakers finally fit in the trunk now. lol.. They were sitting in a different shaped box on my back seats folded down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom