Off Topic Tech Debate (Windows vs. Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakie

Fully Optimized
Since everyone seems to love linux so much and hate Microsoft / Bill Gates, why is Windows still the number 1 used operating system despite it's high price and plethora of bugs versus linux freeness (huh?) and open source kernel?

RULES:
1. If you flame once, you get warned; twice, you get banned.
2. Back up your argument.
3. Have fun with this.
4. If you can't have fun with this, don't join in.

If this gets out of hand, it will be closed and deleted

Good question! :p

I've never used Linux, but I'm planning on trying it out sometime soon. I think that people get "hooked" on Windows because they buy a computer and it comes with Windows, and unless they're a really techy they don't know that there's any other options out there besides Windows. And even if they do know that Linux is out there, Linux has a reputation as the nerd's operating system, and people are intimidated by it.

k here's an article from apc which shows microsoft is better than linux overal but which is better for u here it is.
Round 1: Installation
This round Linux wins points for being inexspensive and downloadable. Windows rallied and landed blows for ubiquity, a solid installer, hardware support and ease of adding aplications.

Round 2: Net Connectivity
Linux wins this round because of its strong file sharing, firewalls and security offerings, even though Microsoft IE owns the browser space.

Round 3: Developement
In terms of built-in programming tools linux wins hands down, but windows rules the roost for full-blown intergrated development enviroments. linux owns web production while the sides are even with database management and implementation.

Round 4: Productivity
Microsoft Office sets the standard for productivity suites but is only available for windows and Mac. Redmond takes this one by a nose.

Round 5: Entitainment
Linux scored highly in its database impletation, but windows clawed back valuable points with multimedia and entertainment. linux support for video codecs and mainstream games is improving but there's still a lot to do.

And The Verdict....
Microsoft wins

Microsoft has always been fairly user friendly aside from bsod and overall crappy security. Linux has just recently become a player since its starting to be MORE user friendly, and more easily accessible to the masses. Thats what i think. I don't prefer either, as both have advantages and disadvantages. MS is fine for most people, but for technical reasons Linux is better suited for others.

How about Mac? Can that be included in the argument?

Anyhow, although Linux is doubtlessly the more stable OS, and more configurable, it is not suited for the masses due to the difficulty involved in things like setting up software, configuring drivers. On the other hand, it is it is more reliable for something to be used as, for example, a very important server. Basically, it is not an operating system for the regular average user, and it will not be until you don't have to ever go into the terminal to get things to work. ;)

If u ask me ... I think Pc Gaming plays a major role in M$ sales ... . Once game developers start making more games for linux ..will see a much bigger base of linux users

I wish more games come out which are on the linux platform.

Windows is more popular than linux because

1. It's more fluffy

2. If you're a gamer then windows is a must (sad...i know)

3. People think that the more expensive something is the better it is (which in a lot of cases is true but not many)

4. I guess Some ppl just hate penguins

that's just a few reasons why.....

because almost all machines come with windows installed. less than 2% of the people with a computer know how to build/fix one so they dont change o/s. me i can fix and build but i use ms because of all the software writen for it.

Guy said:
Since everyone seems to love linux so much and hate Microsoft / Bill Gates, why is Windows still the number 1 used operating system despite it's high price and plethora of bugs versus linux freeness (huh?) and open source kernel?

At one time 95% of the world believed that the earth was flat. To go against that notion was considered heresy. THe combined efforts of few daring, rebellious, and down right genius scientists/explorers disproved this "fact". Today, believe it or not, some people still believe that the world is flat, despite scientific proofs and photgraphs.

Anyways, jsut becuase a product/belief is widly accepted does not make it right. Torvald's breakthrough will change the course of computer science. Its jsut a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom