OCZ drops memory modules completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I can't say that I didn't see this one coming.

OCZ Technology Withdraws from Memory Module Market Completely - X-bit labs

OCZ Technology, once the legendary name among the suppliers of high-speed memory modules, plans to completely withdraw from the dynamic random access memory market. As a result, the company will concentrate its efforts on solid-state drives (SSDs), flash media and power supply units (PSUs). . .

"The board has determined that it is in the best interests of the stockholders to accelerate plans to discontinue its remaining DRAM module products by the end of its current fiscal year of February 28, 2011. Accordingly, our DRAM products are now expected to have minimal, if any, sales in the next fiscal year and beyond," an official statement from OCZ teads. . .

OCZ will continue to fully support its memory modules and will even launch a number of new memory modules that have been in the short-term plans. However, no new memory products are in development.

"In general no new modules are incoming, but we are already committed to some launches for example the Fatal1ty launch alongside partners for the new Fatal1ty branded Sandy Bridge motherboard platform from Asrock and some XMP parts with Intel. Though we are exiting the market we are not leaving any customers or partners hanging," stressed Mr. Mei.

Good to know they aren't pulling a BFG and just leaving people out to dry. I just RMA'd a set of DDR2 with them and can say their process was pretty painless, so I am happy knowing that should this set go titsup they will still be there to replace them.

When I saw the thread title I was like....they are making new Fatal1ty modules though. Sad to see another company leaving that I have seen since I've been in the PC building side of things.

I love OCZ... I still have a stick of some kinda DDR400 Platinums in one of my old rigs, sticks overclocked beautifully on my old AMD 754(745?) rig, they chugged right along no matter what error free, up to the point my NB fried.

Man, OCZ was one of my favorite brands to recommend for memory. When the i7's first came out, they had that killer deal on the Platinums with that super low CAS...blargh. Why can't a crappy company drop out of the memory business?

What the... I loved OCZ! They were always cheaper than the top boys, but still excellent! I always go that until I built my 775 system. :(

The plats in the 400 days where awesome but ever since then I haven't been to fond of OCZ. Kinda sad to see them go instead of a company like Adata or something.

OCZ was among the top in the DDR days, but they began to falter with DDR2. From what I have read their DDR3 has been hit and miss with a lot of miss. Their flash products (SSD, thumb drives) are top notch, though.

OCZ was among the top in the DDR days, but they began to falter with DDR2. From what I have read their DDR3 has been hit and miss with a lot of miss. Their flash products (SSD, thumb drives) are top notch, though.

Probably why they decided to ditch the RAM business. I have some DDR2 800 Plats in a friends machine and they are junk =/ 4GB for 35 bucks....can't beat that for just working right.

I think we are going to see this more and more - DRAM manufacturers moving into the SSD market place, shame really as there seems to be a depressing lack of new manufactures of decent quality to replace them imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom