not a political thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
why do we need a 9/11 thread to remember the lives lost? why do we need the stories of heroes and broken families to be patriotic?

i've seen so many threads, web sites, news programs, news articles, etc. saying, "On this anniversary of 9/11, let's take the time to remember those who lost their lives, etc, etc, etc..."

Why do this just because it's the anniversary? Why can't we do this any and every day?

I think the intent is that they are always in our prayers, if you will, but on the anniversary we simply dedicate the day.

I agree with your thought - I mean living on the other side of the US I've never really been affected by 9/11 in the way that thousands of New Yorkers have been, but I still feel for those who were less fortunate than myself.

The part about patriotism - I would define it as one who is dedicated to their country. Maybe I'm being too literal, but the people who worked in the buildings or were simply killed by the attacks did not die from being patriotic. I believe the govt employees such as the firefighters and police fit into this category, but not the innocent lives.

...random, but what about the people who just happened to die on 9/11/01 and are completely ignored

One Word: Respect

If someone killed off your family, will you just go on like nothing had happened?
no of course not. but i wouldn't say "let's take this anniversary of my grandfather's death to remember him and think about him" i remember and think about him always, and IMO, it's insulting to "use" an anniversary as a reason to do this

no of course not. but i wouldn't say "let's take this anniversary of my grandfather's death to remember him and think about him" i remember and think about him always, and IMO, it's insulting to "use" an anniversary as a reason to do this

The next step would be to understand why we do it on a special day. I know that there are always those who think about the pasted away everyday, but doing it on an anniversary means to stop and to take a moment to remember them, to make it a special remembrance. Same can be said for a birthday. Why not celebrate it half a year away? This isn't because its on that one day. You will be the same age throughout the year, but it's the fact that we want to dedicate something more and make it more special.

i understand why we have those occasions. i think my whole point of this thread is just the effect the 9/11 thing has had on "patriotism" in this country. it's produced this sort of artificial "god bless america because people died" effect. i dunno. thread failure.

anyways, the year before I was actually on top of the North Tower with my family (First day i migrated to US), we had a great time, i just couldent imagine if that were us, makes you wonder what if. Im sure this tragedy has touched us all in some way, and the lives wont be forgotten, ever.

We remember the day for the same reason we remember Pearl Harbor. The patriotism was from the country pulling together to help one another. Many lives were lost, and that fact is enough to stop and pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom