Noise Cancelling Headphones Will Save Your Ears

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do they actually "cancel out the sound"?
by sealing out background noise

Actually, what you are describing is called noise isolation. In noise cancellation technology, each individual headphone has 2 speakers in it, so a total of 4 speakers for the whole thing. One speaker in each headphone points toward the ear, and this is the one you hear your music through. The other speaker faces away from your ear, and this speaker emits a sound that the human ear can not hear. What happens is, the outgoing sound wave emitted by the outside-facing speaker cancels out incoming sound waves, thus "noise canceling". This effectively reduces, by my approximation, about 50% of background noise. Throw in a good seal between the headphones and your ears, and you're looking at about 70% total background noise reduction.

I like my BOSE headphones... they're amazing on airplanes (QC2s) (which i think is what they were intended for) they only cancel out low frequencies, but you can't hear the engine on a plane at all, (Or the wind outside) though you can have a full blown conversation with a guy next to you. Any one whos been on a plane (raise your hand) knows what i'm talking about. THAT is amazing. but i can hear this really high pitch siren in my ears when their on.... i think that's the sound your saying we arn't supposed to hear... yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom