Nice places in USA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Well just been talking with old parents, decided we'd like to visit the USA for the first time :)

But, we're not sure where to go. It'd be great if some of you American folk could give us some recommendations. We just want a really nice area to stay in (not necessarily expensive) but somewhere with places to visit and stuff to do. But not anywhere where it's stupidly hot everyday. I know the US is hot in general, but some states are quite a bit hotter than others, right ?

We'd be going around October time.

Manhattan, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, anywhere in Florida (hot though).

I would recommend some spots on the West Coast, but that's another 2-3K miles (4,000 KM). That also makes Hawaii hard which is probably the ultimate US destination.

Florida's not bad in October or later.

Savannah is nice if you want a taste of the old South, plus some tourist stuff. Gulf Shores is nice, as is Hilton Head. I would recommend my local area but whitewater rafting is over before October... The Cherokee national Forest is still pretty, though.

You could hit Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for the tourist stuff.

You should come visit me in Indiana! :p Would be very mild and getting colder here in October.

The US is a big place to visit, so I suggest this trip be at least a few weeks long and multiple cities covered.

Oh...I missed the "going in October" part. Yea, Florida is nice in Spring and Fall and there's a ton of tourist attractions to see. October is at the tail end of hurricane season though.

New England is always a good place to visit. Newport, RI has a bunch of mansions, if you're into that stuff. Maine is a big beautiful state, all kinds of crazy awesome wilderness, plus you could have lots of lobster. :D

DC is always nice because of The Smithsonian, that's always a staple on any US trip.

There are plenty of national parks all over the place, you could always go to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful, or go see the Grand Canyon in AZ.

Plenty of options.

california-lake-tahoe.jpg

100_0949lake_tahoe.jpg

south-lake-tahoe-view-top.jpg

Although in October you can have temps anywhere from 25C to 0C and snowing. Every once in a while the ski resorts open up in late Oct.

No tourists in Oct. as well.

I advise seeing some of the natural beauty...I.E. Yellowstone (not even been ther myself), Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe....other national parks etc. Really a great contrast to the gentle rolling and very mild hills of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom