New Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suse is fine I guess

to do an internet install you still need a boot disk which installs just enough of linux to get the network up, from there it just downloads all the OS and installs it, same as any other, you just answer the questions when prompted

Ive just seen a whole bunch of people jump into linux completely clueless then have massive problems.

Step one is make sure your hardware will work under linux

Step two is figure out what your doing before you do it

Step three is install it

Step four is get it configured and everything working

Step five, have fun

skip a step and you will have issues, please check your hardware, Ive watched about 10 guys from TF NOT do this after I specifically told them to do this, I will not help you anymore if you dont, my patience with BS is gone, it ran out months ago

I'd go with the CDs if you can, but do whatever you want.

Linux doesnt use drive letters.

You dont need anything "striped" since that is for RAID arrays, and software level arrays are bad anyways.

If you are going to partition the new drive to give 20 to windows and 20 to linux, partition it in windows computer management. Use NTFS (best by far) for windows and leave the remaining space raw, when you install Linux it will put its own file system on.

so ill to NTFS an use 20GB of it for windows, k. ill do that.

k so i partitioned the disk just now, 19 GB is for windows and is E:, and other 18 GB is unallocated, so i guess ill just install linux directly on to that. im going to my uncles place, so i'll get the discs from him. thanx for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom