New Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
!!!!!!!!!!!!!New Hard Drive!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, no1 is answering my questin in the other forum, so i posted here.

I got my new hard drive, i installed it as master. i went to disk management, now i want to install Linux on this hard drive, do i need to partition it? and if i dont, the disk dosnt have a path (C: or E: or w/e), so i have to partition it, now when i partition it, what do i wanna do? Primary or Extended, or free space? or stripped or what?!?!?!? and so when i partition, if i have to partition, im guessing ill used 20GB, thats half the hard drive, and leave the other 20 for windows, can i do that?

Yo, if i have to partition, do i want to format? and if i have to format i format to FAT 32 right?

if windows is already installed and only part of the drive is partitioned your good to go, linux will partition and format the rest

windows MUST BE INSTALLED FIRST PERIOD

no, WINDOWs is installed on a hard drive, i got a NEW HARD DRIVE, not partitioned, its set as unknown, what should i do?

plug it in and install linux on it, you will have a dual boot setup on separate drives

wait, how do i install linux on it, if i dont have a path name for it? and do i need to install GRUB first?

same way you install windows, install the hard drive, leave it blank and empty, insert linux install disk, turn on PC, make sure PC is set to boot from CDROM, install linux

linux will allow you to format the drive and install GRUB or LILO at the end so you can dual boot, when the format screen comes up, make sure you leave the windows drive alone, just format the drive your going to put linux on

You wont be even seeing windows at all to do this, its done just like windows doesnt even exist

since your lost already, I highly recommend doing a bunch of reading about linux, like some tutorials and help guides, linux IS NOT windows, different animal entirely----you think your lost now, you will be real lost in a little while I guarantee it

can i do an internet installation or does it have to be a boot installation? cause it says i need like 5 CDs, which is ridiculous, and knowning my burner it will screw it up somehow.

sure you can do a net install, why wouldnt you be able to?

if your gonna use fedora core(sounds like you are), please figure out what your doing first, fedora is a cutting edge testbed for linux, it isnt meant for everyday use by newbies

i was thinking suse,but i guess i can go with fedora. so when i do internet install, how would it work?

u no on second thought, i can just get linux suse from my uncle, is that ok? or is Suse too advanced? im willing to learn, so thats not an issue. im not that much of a n00b, i sound like it cause i've never used linux before, but im pretty good when it comes to programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom