New car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysler 300 isn't a bad ride, but, I urge caution with them, they at least 10 years ago, had some serious issues as far as engine and transmission reliability went. They are also very particular on fluid type and quality.

I would seriously be looking at something with AWD...

That 300 was a no go, only rear wheel drive and the Mrs. does not want that. It was a 2015 that was selling for only 22.9K We wondered why it was so cheap until I drove it....it had a really funky smell and if the dealer can't get rid of it I don't want it either. I felt like I was in a Seinfeld show with that car that had a stink he couldn't get rid of so he finally gave it away

Today I test drove a Nissan Maxima, really nice ride and I really liked it, had leather seats but no heat. That's may be a deal killer because the Mrs. wants heated seats for the winter. Asking 23.7K @ 19K miles which is on the high side for the options, compared to other cars I see on line. I think we might try looking for another Maxima with better options/price

IMO, don't worry about heated seats, you can install heated pads under the fabric used for the seats and have a controller installed to get heated seats for less than what most dealers charge for that option. If you are a handy guy, you could do it your self, easy as pie to remove the fabric and throw the heating elements on and run a wire out, then pull the fabric back down and tie/staple it back into place. The only time it's a pain is if they pull the fabric through the cushion in places to give the contoured shape, though I haven't seen that my self on the few seats I have had to rip apart.

The car has leather seats.
There are models already out there for less than that dealer is asking for and they already have OEM heated seats with heated steering wheel as a factory standard option for the 3.5 SV Maxima's
Kinda strange that this car doesn't have that option while all the others I've seen do.

Last edited:
I'll +1 the Subaru, also. They're not as popular down here in the south, but I owned one from new until well over 200k miles. I was helping a friend in need when I sold it to her. Unfortunately, she totalled it less than a year later.

Anyhow, have been all Honda since then. I would go Subaru again, but they are very difficult to come by here.

I did look at some Subaru's, very expensive for what you get.
Over last weekend we did get a chance to test drive a Honda Accord EX-L, a Camry and a Toyota Avalon.
I liked the Accord, and the ride of the Camry but the Camry isn't any larger than my 200 was, and there isn't a 6 cylinder within my state as far as I can tell. I liked the Avalon too, it is a full size car, has all the buttons and bells but the Honda XL-E has more offerings for less. The Honda also has a much better ride than the Avalon we drove. This particular Avalon was a hybrid and was kinda different to drive anyway, but not in negative way....except the suspension. Only the Honda had a 6 cyl. engine. That hybrid Avalon was electric up to 45 mph and then a 4 cyl. engine kicked in

Last edited:
I did look at some Subaru's, very expensive for what you get.
Over last weekend we did get a chance to test drive a Honda Accord XL-E, a Camry and a Toyota Avalon.
I liked the Accord, and the ride of the Camry but the Camry isn't any larger than my 200 was, and there isn't a 6 cylinder within my state as far as I can tell. I liked the Avalon too, it is a full size car, has all the buttons and bells but the Honda XL-E has more offerings for less. The Honda also has a much better ride than the Avalon we drove. This particular Avalon was a hybrid and was kinda different to drive anyway, but not in negative way....except the suspension. Only the Honda had a 6 cyl. engine. That hybrid Avalon was electric up to 45 mph and then a 4 cyl. engine kicked in
Not in the least.

Not in the least.

ya-huh!!
Other than that, Can't find a 6 cyl, anywhere in my area and the 6 cyl models that I did manage to find for reviews all have the CV Transmission, I'm not getting a Nissan because of the reliability issue of these CVT's. Sounds and looks like a really great tranny for the future, but I'm not ready to get one at this time

6 cyl engines are getting harder to find, even with the "big 3" auto makers

Edit: found a 6 cyl '08 Legacy for 15.9K in Ohio
http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/us...=Legacy Sedan&invtype=USED&defaultType=&mode=

Last edited:
I drive out of town on back roads, When you need to pass one of those double grain trailers driven by some farm kid in the fall, you'll want your car to move. A 4 cyl just say's "what?" when you put it to the wood. The 4 cyl engines are good for just buzzing around town but if you get on a steep hill at freeway speeds (70 - 80+mph), well it just ain't going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom