Need a new desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that thread, can't remember where the idea for a solid core door came from, but since I saw that thread, it's been stuck in my mind as a suggestion for a very strong surface for holding things :D XD

It was PositiveKaram that suggested a solid core door for your application.

To be honest, the solid Lauan door is the best desktop I could have gotten. Granted, the wooden surface isn't a true hard wood, but if you don't care it makes no difference. I did Formica all over mine because I wanted a durable black finish, and black paint isn't really the ticket (tried it; failed). When I was at the hardware store and I went to find the door, they had moved them and I asked an employee. He said "oh man these are great for table tops!" He had no idea I was buying the door for a table top but there he went reading my mind. He said he just bought two of them and made a long 160" work bench at home.

It's at least something to consider. I could have easily spent a truckload more on a true 32x60 1.5" thick slab of hard wood, but instead I got a 32x80 2" slab that was affordable and easy to work with that is incredibly strong with a durable surface.

FYI - I know your average "computer desk" isn't something that necessarily needs to be strong, but mine undoubtedly must be built like a tank. I have 3 monitors, sometimes 2 laptops, tower, stereo, all of my files, paperwork, printer, etc. Plus I often repair computers on the desk. In no way shape or form would I ever want to buy a desk and second guess the weight limitations of it. I'd rather just get one that's strong and forget about it.

Jayce, you have a metal desk that costs $700 at most places, so yea, it's built like a tank. I am thinking about buying a few slabs of doors and building a new work bench in the garage, the surface on both them tables is really worn out, especially after having engine blocks sit on them last summer.

I use a folding table as my desk, so it is about 2.5' x 6' or so. It works very well. I have my computer sitting at one end over the legs so there is no bow in the table due to the weight so I have plenty of room. If I wanted an "L" I could just get another table and butt it up against this one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom