Need advice about harassment at work

It's called, get a license and a car. Every job application I have EVER filled out, and every interview I have done has asked if I have RELIABLE transportation, that doesn't mean a bus, because half the time public transportation just isn't reliable. Most IT jobs around here make it mandatory to have a license and your own car for one simple reason, several companies are spread out through out the state, and IT staff has to be able to fluidly move around the sites.

That aside, no, he doesn't have the right to talk down to her, but she can be terminated for failure to perform her job IMO, regardless of if "driving" is or isn't part of her job description. From what I can find, Minnesota is a Right to Work (Or VERY close to it) state, so she's not protected under any laws if they terminate her for not being capable of traveling between locations when they need her to, regardless if other employees are capable of doing the task.

I suggest reporting it to HR ASAP before anything does start to happen, because if you wait it out, they will ask, "Why didn't you come to us sooner? We could have helped then instead of it spiraling to writeups/termination."

Also check your state laws about work requiring you to drive, many states dictate that if shes to travel for her job, they are to either provide the car, or re-reimburse her for traveling, a license is only what, $25 every four years? Not hard to get one of those, nor costly.

Last edited:
Actually if they have it in writing that she doesn't have a license and they've acknowledged that fact then they can't terminate her for travel. It's still classified as unlawful termination, and if she can get proof of harassment it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

An FYI, it's not required to have a license where I work. Only 3 forms of US ID. Government IT job.

@ c0rr0sive - She can get her license if she wants and she knows she should get it, the cost has nothing to do with it.
Even if she had her license we have only one car and I feel more comfortable her using the bus, it's why she was looking for a job only in downtown due to the bus system.
My mom takes the bus as well, in winter the roads get crappy and it isn't safe driving, she doesn't feel confident enough driving here in winter.
Many people do not have their license and don't need to have their license, many people rely on public transportation.
When she signed up they asked if she had transportation to come to work which was in downtown, they never mentioned that she'd have to go to difference cities. And out of all the co workers they assigned all the remote apps to her knowing she didn't drive.
They were some apps in the DT area which she went to those locations, even though she had to walk outdoors there are others that require multiple buses and it'd take over an hour.
She said she'll see how the rest of the week goes and if he says anything else that he shouldn't.
If they fire her for not having her license, we're okay with that because they can say she's unable to perform her job however if they fire her for talking to her HR about what her manager said, that's going to be a different story then

@ c0rr0sive - She can get her license if she wants and she knows she should get it, the cost has nothing to do with it.
Even if she had her license we have only one car and I feel more comfortable her using the bus, it's why she was looking for a job only in downtown due to the bus system.
My mom takes the bus as well, in winter the roads get crappy and it isn't safe driving, she doesn't feel confident enough driving here in winter.
Many people do not have their license and don't need to have their license, many people rely on public transportation.
When she signed up they asked if she had transportation to come to work which was in downtown, they never mentioned that she'd have to go to difference cities. And out of all the co workers they assigned all the remote apps to her knowing she didn't drive.
They were some apps in the DT area which she went to those locations, even though she had to walk outdoors there are others that require multiple buses and it'd take over an hour.

Hmm if you only have one car and she needs to get to multiple job spots..
You could look into google maps and find out the distance to these areas she'll be assigned to.
If nots much, why don't you get up go to her job, when she needs to go to point a to point b.
Meanwhile take note of how long the job takes and how many she gets.
If its too much of a problem and she knows she can't drive right now.
Both of you need to speak to her boss or the person running the business and explain.
Ask them to give her an exception of traveling for the time being or permanently.
Have her explain first and if you need to, you step at the right time and explain what you see.

Now if they decide to go ahead and let her go after all of this..
Turn your heads and go job hunting, while you train her to drive right or someone else is capable of doing so.
I don't know how long shes been working there but if shes been there for a year.
Just leave on good terms so that when she appliess elsewhere it won't come back to bite her in the rear over this problem.

It's called, get a license and a car. Every job application I have EVER filled out, and every interview I have done has asked if I have RELIABLE transportation

If she said right at the beginning that she is planning on taking the bus, then there is ABSOLUTELY no issue. It is a basic question when first being interviewed for a job as they need to know.

Also, I know quite a few people whom rely on public transportation to get to work. Taking public transportation shouldn't be an issue.

@Krazyq
Is the anonymous thing go directly to the guy? Is there no one else she can go to as in another higher up? No open door policy? I say just report it as the remarks he said are unprofessional. If he did the hiring, he should of known that your wife relied on public transportation at hire.

He screwed himself when he said the "Pretty Face" comment.
That there is sexual harassment, and grounds for termination.

She needs to file a complaint with HR and get it on record.

He screwed himself when he said the "Pretty Face" comment.
That there is sexual harassment, and grounds for termination.

She needs to file a complaint with HR and get it on record.

that's what I figured as well.
I understand them wanting to let her go about not being able to make it to those locations, however that gives him no right to insult her and mention that pretty face thing.

Now I think I've convinced her to go ahead and make the complaint.
What are the different scenarios we should except?
Is it even worth it?
If your gf/wives/daughters went threw the same thing, would you want something done about it?
Is the ultimate goal over here to get him fired/moved?

I told her if she's ready to make the complaint, prepare as this being your last day of work here.
And I know she'll find another job easily, she got about 1 year of experience and did really good. She already trained 2 people and is always a week or two ahead in her assigned tasks.
This is a big company however everyone in IT is a contractor, so is the manager.

If she complains about the sexual harassment and is let go, she has a lawsuit.
Of coarse it is worth it, no matter the outcome. It's beyond acceptable now a days to let this crap continue.
For all she knows, he's been talked to about this and he get booted.

Problem is she must PROVE they let her go over it, that's like saying an employee was sexually harassed by another employee and thus can never be terminated for not being able to perform the job at hand. All in all, it's two separate issues.

As for them all being contractors, chances are there's not much that HR can do what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom