my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hey, just giving ideas to anyone out there who is looking for storage space and likes to keep they're HDD clutter free. So unlike anything else in my house(my desk, room, work area in the basement) i like to keep my computer clean, clutter free and fast like it was when i isntalled windows. here is my setup and you can look at each system individually in my sig.

the laptop in my sig(the Latitude C610) acts as my main computer or workstation that i use to do everything normal(used as regular computer on internet or for word processing and such. and the other 2 computers are mainly storage servers. I have both of thsoe servers(the dell and PDS build) have a certain task for me, every time i rip a CD i send it straight off to my PDS Server which acts as my music server with a 37 GB hard drive. All my software(utils, programs etc...) ISO's, and hard drive images are all stored on the Dell Server.

Some may think this is a difficult task but it isnt at all. First I just installed an operating system to each computer(as you can see i used XP Pro) I would recommend using 2 partitions on each computer one for OS and one for storage. On my laptop i redireected the my documents link to my second partition so in case my computer crashes i dont lose all my data. Next I also make sure to have Ghost images of each system stored on the storage partition of my dell Server so i can just restore those when something goes screwy. The only thing that costs money is the extra storage space if you need it(you can pretty much use any computer for these storage servers. Then just spend a few bucks on a hub and some ethernet cable to run between each system, set up your shares and just leave your servers on all the time, you dont even need a monitor turned on or a keyboard or mouseunless you have to reimage it or something, another thing that is very useful is if you setup remote desktop connections between each computer so you dont have to run b ack and forth between your computers to re-config something.

Just thought I'd share ideas for anyone who needs reliable extra storage space.

sorry if any of this is confusing i sorta jus tmade it up as i went along

NAS units are cheaper both power wise, and price wise.

80$ for a d-link NAS unit, 25$ an enclosure + hard drive expense.

actually I didnt spend much money on these. i got the dual processor PDS build free i just put in my old HDD and some drives, and my dell was my old computer i just use it now for sharing drives now that i have a laptop, and does an NAS unit automatically share the entire drive over the entire network?

P.P. Mguire said:
I got my Maxtor 200gig for 69$. It was on a really good weekend sale too though. I think 4th of July sale to be exact.

Maxtor always own's people.

Like, loosing 200 gig of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom