my rights as a tennant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mate. I am just saying, i said it in my first response and no matter what else is said that is the only thing that holds true. Check the agreement. Some have this covered, some have this implied, some dont say a word about it and those are the ones you have to watch out for. As it will always favor the landlord over tennant.

I nearly had to go to small claims court over a dispute with a landlord. I have been through this process before. It was settled before it came to that.

As Mak said, the lease is the be-all to the end-all. However, also as Mak said, I would check the lease agreement. But if it isn't covered there, you do have options. And usually landlords are favored, but not always. Your lease is the first place to go for your solution, I am agreeing with that. But just keep in mind you have options if it isn't written in a lease and signed by both parties.

There is a such thing as Tennants Rights, there are laws, I know in my area, by law, a landlord must repair anything he owns in a house that has broken down from old age or unknown causes as long as the tennant doesn't break it on accident or purpose.

IMO tell him to fix it, then he gets the rent, as it had broken down during the previous period.

There is a such thing as Tennants Rights, there are laws, I know in my area, by law, a landlord must repair anything he owns in a house that has broken down from old age or unknown causes as long as the tennant doesn't break it on accident or purpose.

IMO tell him to fix it, then he gets the rent, as it had broken down during the previous period.
Just because there is a law in your area doesnt mean there is in Canada where the OP Lives. By suggesting this you could very well get them evicted.

2nd while there are tennant laws, lease agreements will super cede them. If it is agreed upon in the lease that they have to pay the rent before a item is fixed, no matter what the tennant laws are, they agreed to that term.

Although not paying your rent is a good way to get the attention of the land lord, it also give him to the excuse to terminate the lease and kick you out.

No paying rent is the can do you more harm than good.

Best course of action would be this.
1. Contact your lcocal government. I am sure you have government body that looks after tennets/land lord disputes.
2. Put your request in writing to the land lord. Let him now what the problem is and that if he does not have it fixed in with 10 days, you are going to take it up with the above government body.
You can even offfer to repair to fault yourself provided that the expense gets taken out of your rent.

when it comes down to disputes between you and your land lord, keep every thing in writing.

Keep in mind, if you stop paying rent, then that automatically puts you in the violation of your lease. Don't go there unless you are prepared to be evicted.

yea stuff involving contracts is hard to deal with unless you actually have the contract in your hand :\

btw..he hasn't posted back since he started this...I hope he didn't get kicked out or anything

Honestly..... odds are if he actually read this thread he'd do what i said... Alot of us don't own the heaters, especially on rentals... He should read the tank and call the number on it... If its a rental, it'll be fixed for free as its the companies property, not the renters.

If in doubt, you call the proper people to fix it, pay for it, then sue small claims for it.

btw I live 40 mins from him.

He should read the tank and call the number on it... If its a rental, it'll be fixed for free as its the companies property, not the renters.

That's nice. I wish we had some thing like that down here.
We have to wait for the land lord to give approval on every thing unless the house is deemed "unlivable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom