My next money pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you continue on bashing Japanese cars and being an ignorant 16-year-old, go drive a Honda for more than a couple minutes so you can make an informed decision.

When I was your age, 9 short years ago, being all arrogant, hating on everything I was uneducated about, I too thought Japanese car's were all rice trash garbage, my Oldsmobile was cool and GM was the best car maker evAr.

Then when my Cutlass died at a whopping 127k (oil pump stopped pumping), my older brother gave me his old Prelude...since then all I've ever owned is Hondas.

I use to think Japanese cars were stupid, pointless ricer mobiles, why would anyone ever buy one?

Then I educated myself, they are reliable, inexpensive to maintain, easy to work on, look good when done right, handle amazingly with the right suspension set-up, produce a great power-to-liter ratio (the first to make 100hp per liter naturally aspirated) and are relatively cheap to make fast.

Right now I own this:
2.jpg

1995 Integra GS-R turbo. I've spent a total of $5,800 on it including the price of the car, all modifications and regular maintenance. The engine has 199,860 original miles on it right now. It has been pushing over 300whp for the last 30,000 without any issues beyond regular maintenance. The transmission is original as well, neither it or the engine have had any problems despite having to withstand more than twice the power they were ever designed to.

So for just under $6,000 I have a car that has never left me stranded, has room for my kid, wife and groceries, run's low 12sec 1/4's (with slicks), can compete with the E46 M3's around the local race track on track events and gets well over 30mpg when I keep it out of boost.

And for about another $500 (bigger injectors, 3 BAR MAP sensor and a new dyno tune) I could easily turn up the boost and be pushing over 375whp. But I honestly don't need my daily driver to be any faster.

Not such a piece of crap, huh?

Now that I got that out, Nice first car. It looks to be in great condition. I would advise against the exhaust but I always say yes to an intake. I don't care what kind of car it is, if it's fuel injected, an intake will sound great on it...it wont add any noticeable power (sometimes they even decrease power) but they sound great and are worth it just for that fact alone.

Keep the spending on it to a minimum, you will be glad you did later on. It's still fresh in my mind how much money I wasted on my cars when I was in high school. I can't even give you a number because it disgusts me when I start counting it up.

Nice car man. I've been wanting an Integra for a while now, it's too bad they got discontinued... :(

Totally agree with you though. My sister owns a Honda and has had no problems with it other than regular maintenance. And my Dad has an Acura TL, best car he's ever driven (he's owned quite a few).

You cant just take the amount he pays and convert it. It isnt accurate. There is no way i would be paying less than £400 for a full years worth of insurance. That is what my policy as it stands would turn out to be. So to just take what is being paid and convert it is so inaccurate it isnt even funny.

Plus it isnt mentioned if that is a 6 month policy or a 12 month policy. As here in the states many places go by a 6 month policy plan that you renew twice a year. So in actuallity he could be paying as much as $3200 for a full year.

Gas maybe cheaper here, as i have seen that the conversion isnt accurate on that either, but it is still by far not cheap. Even in my little Civic i spent upwards of $30 to fill it up. That is quite a bit for a 10 gallon tank.

BTW Phil congrats on the car. It is such fun having your first car. I still remember mine. 1984 Chevy Caviler drop top. Was a fun car to have in the summer, killer in the winter. No heat...

But the fact that we all have to buy 10 year old hatchbacks with 1 litre engines that are like 80hp is a good indication that it is more expensive to own a car over here. What we are saying is you would have to be, quite literally, earning higher than the average wage of a middle aged man to afford cars with the kind of size and power you can get over there at 16.

Here is what i found: the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average annual wages in the U.S. as $36,764 for 2002. That is 22 299.3062 British pounds, which coincidentally is the average wage for 2009 in the UK. The dollar goes further in the US than it does in the UK, this says so too > http://www.xpatulator.com/ The UK's most expensive city, London is ranked 34th in the worlds most expensive places to live (taking into account ppp, cost of goods, etc) whereas the US's highest is New York, at #48.

We could even tell it was cheeper in Vancouver, Canada in just 1 weeks holiday.

Oreo said:
Here is what i found: the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average annual wages in the U.S. as $36,764 for 2002. That is 22 299.3062 British pounds, which coincidentally is the average wage for 2009 in the UK. The dollar goes further in the US than it does in the UK, this says so too > Xpatulator - international cost of living calculator The UK's most expensive city, London is ranked 34th in the worlds most expensive places to live (taking into account ppp, cost of goods, etc) whereas the US's highest is New York, at #48.
Your jaw would drop if you lived around here. Our cost of living is well below the national average.

Before you continue on bashing Japanese cars and being an ignorant 16-year-old, go drive a Honda for more than a couple minutes so you can make an informed decision.

When I was your age, 9 short years ago, being all arrogant, hating on everything I was uneducated about, I too thought Japanese car's were all rice trash garbage, my Oldsmobile was cool and GM was the best car maker evAr.

Then when my Cutlass died at a whopping 127k (oil pump stopped pumping), my older brother gave me his old Prelude...since then all I've ever owned is Hondas.

I use to think Japanese cars were stupid, pointless ricer mobiles, why would anyone ever buy one?

Then I educated myself, they are reliable, inexpensive to maintain, easy to work on, look good when done right, handle amazingly with the right suspension set-up, produce a great power-to-liter ratio (the first to make 100hp per liter naturally aspirated) and are relatively cheap to make fast.

Right now I own this:
2.jpg

1995 Integra GS-R turbo. I've spent a total of $5,800 on it including the price of the car, all modifications and regular maintenance. The engine has 199,860 original miles on it right now. It has been pushing over 300whp for the last 30,000 without any issues beyond regular maintenance. The transmission is original as well, neither it or the engine have had any problems despite having to withstand more than twice the power they were ever designed to.

So for just under $6,000 I have a car that has never left me stranded, has room for my kid, wife and groceries, run's low 12sec 1/4's (with slicks), can compete with the E46 M3's around the local race track on track events and gets well over 30mpg when I keep it out of boost.

And for about another $500 (bigger injectors, 3 BAR MAP sensor and a new dyno tune) I could easily turn up the boost and be pushing over 375whp. But I honestly don't need my daily driver to be any faster.

Not such a piece of crap, huh?

Now that I got that out, Nice first car. It looks to be in great condition. I would advise against the exhaust but I always say yes to an intake. I don't care what kind of car it is, if it's fuel injected, an intake will sound great on it...it wont add any noticeable power (sometimes they even decrease power) but they sound great and are worth it just for that fact alone.

Keep the spending on it to a minimum, you will be glad you did later on. It's still fresh in my mind how much money I wasted on my cars when I was in high school. I can't even give you a number because it disgusts me when I start counting it up.

Nice teggy man. I bet you get mean torque steer from that. The B18 is a beast motor for sure. And I love Ludes. For what it's worth guys, Evo magazine rated the 2000 Integra Type R as the best front wheel drive car ever made. And I don't find that hard to believe.

But the fact that we all have to buy 10 year old hatchbacks with 1 litre engines that are like 80hp is a good indication that it is more expensive to own a car over here. What we are saying is you would have to be, quite literally, earning higher than the average wage of a middle aged man to afford cars with the kind of size and power you can get over there at 16.

Here is what i found: the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average annual wages in the U.S. as $36,764 for 2002. That is 22 299.3062 British pounds, which coincidentally is the average wage for 2009 in the UK. The dollar goes further in the US than it does in the UK, this says so too > http://www.xpatulator.com/ The UK's most expensive city, London is ranked 34th in the worlds most expensive places to live (taking into account ppp, cost of goods, etc) whereas the US's highest is New York, at #48.

We could even tell it was cheeper in Vancouver, Canada in just 1 weeks holiday.

Your used cars are cheap though. I get jealous when i watch TG and see Clarkson buying a Porsche 944 for 5k pounds and it's in decent shape. That car goes for much more here. The cash for clunkers program also destoryed the used car market here. A lot of good rides were destroyed by stupid people and prices are higher now because of it.

Nice teggy man. I bet you get mean torque steer from that. The B18 is a beast motor for sure. And I love Ludes. For what it's worth guys, Evo magazine rated the 2000 Integra Type R as the best front wheel drive car ever made. And I don't find that hard to believe.

Your used cars are cheap though. I get jealous when i watch TG and see Clarkson buying a Porsche 944 for 5k pounds and it's in decent shape. That car goes for much more here. The cash for clunkers program also destoryed the used car market here. A lot of good rides were destroyed by stupid people and prices are higher now because of it.

Yeah, there were plenty of nice cars that could have been donated to people in need or the government could have sold it back to the public instead of killing engines and using the steel. o_O

then add in the fact they traded old cars in for hummers n crap like that..how is that helping anything? oh well lets not get into that or this'll get closed

any updates on this so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom