my first

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
wow, i never thought i would ever see one of these again. this was the first "computer" that i ever bought. complete with a DOS operating system. it was a glorified electric typewriter at best. and mostly an excersize in frustration and patience building.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Tandy-1000HX-Vintage-Personal-Computer-wMonitor-41650027.html
it would have been priced about right if this was what it cost way back then. but i paid a whopping $100.00 for the dumb thing if memory serves me correctly. then i spent 3 days and about $30.00 building a huge plywood computer desk for it. 2 full sheets of plywood plus some scraps i had laying around. the internet was a baby back then. it seems to me i had to buy a modem and install it so i could use a dial up connection. there was one other guy at work that i could message back and fourth with.

The Tandy 1000 was essentially a clone of the IBM PCjr. I always found it fascinating that the PCjr was a failure in the marketplace but the Tandy was a huge success.

What year did you buy one for $100?

i really do not remember. seems like late 80's. i got married in 1986, and i know i was married, living in Grand Rapids. they may have been on clearance. one of the reasons for buying it was so i could do resume's on it. i bought a dot matrix printer as well. and one of those monster sized boxes of paper to go along with it. the printer was the best thing about the whole computer as far as i was concerned. i used to use it to make "X" targets from printed "X's" to use at the 300 yard rifle range that i had living there. i do not miss the tiny house we lived in there, but everything else about living there i do miss.

Back
Top Bottom