My company's IT structure sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribalsun

In Runtime
I work for a large commercial printing corporation that is one of the leaders in the printing and digital pre-press fields. Having said that, the corporate approach to our infrastructure sucks balls. In an effort to save money they have eliminated all IT/IS positions from the individual plants and have consolidated all to some damn centralized "help desk" each location must use.

About a year ago, they fired the IT guy at my location and never replaced him, As I said they felt that was a smart move and eliminated all IT people form each location as a cost cutting measure. Well the guy that was fired took ALL the information with him, admin passwords, product licenses and serials etc etc. Our PC's at work have not been updated with Microsofts security patches and hot-fixes in almost a year becuase no one can log in as admin!

I've asked repeatedly to have someone come in and fix, repair and redo all the machines so they can function with the proper updates and security patches. But no, I'm ignored each time. The other day I went in to log my numbers for the day and finish some reports when the PC they force us to use which is usually slow anyway (P-2, 96 megs of RAM with XP Service Pack 2). :mad: was bogged down with a huge amount of spyware thanks to co-workers who don't know better and install any damn thing that comes their way. :mad: :mad: :mad:

After cleaning it up with spy-bot, one of the few things I can actually do with the PC without needing admin access I told the co-worker she needs to clean up her surfing habits. She glared at me like a deer in headlights just whacked over the head with a bag full of nickles. I went to our "Production Manager" and tried to explain to him about the spyware on the PC and what was needed to prevent this and received the same blank look.

About 2 years ago we were hit with the sobig worm because we were not updated. Has my company learned from that error? Obviously not. I can't count how many times I have asked for a PC that is actually capable of running XP SP-2 ( thankfully I only need that particular PC for a short period of time during the day) and have explained how it will improve production to deaf ears. Same when it comes to me preaching about security, deaf ears again.

Now I'm not a security expert by any means, not and IT guy by any stretch. I'm just a guy that knows better and has tried in vain to get my "superiors" to listen to my pleas. I work for a multi-million dollar company and they refuse to spend money on these things. :mad:

So having said all that does anyone have any suggestions that might get them to listen to reason?

All you would need to do is use a password reset utility to blank out the admin password then you can do whatever you want. I've got one if you want it.

I appreciate the offer but don't want to try anything that might cost me my job, thanks though. :)

Don't bother. If you try and fix things one of two things will happen. Either they will be happy and you will become the new de-facto tech in the office (and not getting paid any more to deal with your co-workers constant requests) or the will be unhappy and repremand and/or fire you.

It seems bad, but in most cases if the person isn't fired, they end up wishing they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom