Music -- Ok to download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lostman said:
Wow. You took that pretty personally didn't you? If you don't like my opinion, why did you ask?
Ok, please stop downloading mp3s :zip:
Millions of consumers are d/l music online. I am willing to bet that if people could vote during the next major election to see if d/l'ing mp3's would be legal, it would pass by a huge margin.
Oh, parden me, that makes it ok to do I guess.
Let's tear this down. Bit by bit.

Here's why I would leave: Because I don't fell like hanging with the fools that pick-pocket me.

Good luck finding a forum that is 100% pro RIAA, 100% anti file sharing.
Didn't say I would find another forum and I'm just about fed up with people like you anyway.
And how are we pick-pocketing you?
Cause I have to pay for your music moron
If your a record exec, screw you. People call lawyers the leaches of the earth, I disagree. A&R reps are. They leach as much money as they can off of other people's talent.
I'm 15 and I don't have a job, just a hole that you cut in my pocket.
By who's law are you speaking of?
If you live in America it's called the US Constitution, any other country and it's their Constitution. Right now the law says 'Don't steal' or 'No Shop Lifting' I don't know where you've been, but this country became law-broken nearly 200 years ago.
Who am I stealing from? Am I taking a tangable item that is part of someone's inventory? Nope.
So now, you say that it must be 'tangable' in order to be 'stealing'. as if that were up to you to decide.

"Your Honor, the opposing lawyer says that my client has something called a 'motive.' Now, I have never seen one of these so-called motives, and I would much appreciate it if one were brought up here and placed on the table so we can examine it, and label it exhibit B." Or how about this:

"You stole my idea! That was mine!"

"What? no, ideas are not tangable, therefore, it's ok to steal them." FOR SOME WHACKED OUT REASON.
Would someone have bought that item that I am taking? Nope.
sorry, I thought I was dealing with a thinking person. LOOK AT ME
Am I taking money out of the artist's pocket? Nope.
Man, this keeps getting better and better
I wouldn't have bought it anyway at $16 a disk.
That doesn't matter. You're enjoying something that you didn't pay for
Would I drop $16 on a band that I have never heard of? Or only heard one song on the radio? Nope. Would I spend $30 on a concert ticket to go see somebody that I have only heard 1 song on the radio? Nope. Tell me, where does a band make more money?
Me.
From the sale of one ticket or one CD?
YES
Tell me which you think they'll be happier to sell? I steal from nobody. The bum taking your hub caps when your parked at that red light. That's stealing. Me transfering a song from my neighbors computer to mine? I don't think so.
Stealing is defined as 'theft'
Is recording a show off of the TV stealing? You didn't buy it. Chances are you'll skip right over the ads that pay for the show.
Yes, Believe it or not, that's stealing to.
Keep in mind that most bands don't have a say so. They sign contracts that they can't understand.
But the lawyers can
Then the record companies own them for the next 5 albums. The band is just happy being signed. Being able to live the dream. Do your homework. Find out how much a newly signed band makes from the sale of a CD.
I have a friend who is in a band.
Hell, bands like Metallica make less then $1 from a CD.
800,000 copies of a CD sold and Metallica just made $800,000. Pay for all your music and Metallica makes $2,000,000.
Tell me who's stealing now.
Well, you and your friends just stole 1,200,000 dollars worth of music.
If you have watched this "cartoon", then you would know there are heavy political and social undertones to they're show. And underneeth all the fart jokes a point is being made.
funny thing about points: Everyone is entitled to their own opinon, but not to their own set of facts.

You scrape me for not watching a cartoon. But what if I told you that you were uneducated because you didn't agree with Adolf Hitler? Ah, I don't care that he was a murderer (or a theaf), If you would have listened to his speeches then you would understand the greatness behind the killing of the Jews!!!
That's the funniest thing I've read all:zip: day. That RIAA are all around decent guys.
didn't say they were. You missread again. I said that you were even worse than they were
My bad. Let's sue the entire planet for millions each insted of adapt to the changing economic climate.
I didn't say that either
Loosen the tie and take a good look at what you stand for. Musicians don't play music for the money.
HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAA!!!
There has been music way before there has been a record lable to exploit them.
WOW! REALLY???
Did Bethoven play for the money?
Did Bethoven live in todays world where money has become life?
Being a musician myself, I'd just be happy with the fact that people are enjoying my talent.
Very good
I'd make money off of the concert tickets. Becuase I'll make a hell of a lot more that way then through CD sales.
That's because everyone would steal them.
And don't start a thread then bash the people that reply to it.
Yes Master.

Mm9004 said:
Is it right? Well, lets see... no. Why not? Because it's stealing. That's how simple it is. Regardless of what goes on with the people who get the money, it's still stealing and that's the end of it.
Sorry pal, but I live in Canada. It's perfectly legal for me to download as much music as I want :p

Originally posted by Mm9004
What you want and what the band want's are two different things because the idiot bands are smart enough to know that money doesn't just come from nowhere.
Riiight... and obviously you don't understand how little profit the artists actually see from CD sales. In reality they are seeing less than 10% per CD sold, which pales in comparison to the massive profits the record labels are raking in.

Basicaly Lostman has summed up my feelings exactly:
Originally posted by Lostman
Musicians don't play music for the money. There has been music way before there has been a record lable to exploit them. Did Bethoven play for the money? Being a musician myself, I'd just be happy with the fact that people are enjoying my talent. I'd make money off of the concert tickets. Becuase I'll make a hell of a lot more that way then through CD sales.
The 'real' musicians are the ones who play music because they love it. I myself am a musician (not professional), and the satisfaction I get from having other people enjoy something I have created is enough payment for me. Yes I do understand that artists need money to live, but profits made from merchandising and concerts are usually more than enough for them to live quite comfortably.

The real kicker is when he said
"Cause I have to pay for your music moron"

I know your only 15, and while I'm not age bias, being more then 10 years older has it's good points.

Back when CD's came out, guess how much they where? $16-$20. This is before the internet file swapping. 5 years goes by. Guess how much CD's are now? $16-$20.let's add another 10 years. Brings us to the last couple of years. How much are cd's now? $16-$20.

So your argument of "You are paying for my music" is crap. You are a sheep. You took tiny bits of info and molded your opinion. "But Metallica says it's bad!!!". Did you know Metallica made it because they copied the hell out of "No life till leather" and gave it away? That built they're following. They made they're money from the live shows. Metallica forgot they're roots.

I'm not saying what we're doing is right. I'm saying that if I have the means to take back from the bastards that have been doing nothing but taking from me, then so be it.

BTW, I do buy CD's. I bought Metallica's latest. Now I wish I would have d/l'd it first because I would have never spent the money on it. I also bought Matchbox 20's new album because I knew I'd like it. So I may steal, but selectivly.

If you want to call it stealing fine, then I steal music.

If you don't like it, well I am truley, sorry... *tear* seriously... I am.

My reasons are the same as everyone else's. We have been shafted for years before you were born.

PS. I am 24, I bought my first tape with my own money when I was 7. I got that money by doing chores. No chores = no money. I have continued to buy the majority of my music for the past 17 years, which is longer than you have been alive. Go cry somewhere else.

And if you think that we are stealing from the music artists, wait until you are old enough to have to start paying taxes...

End of story.

I steal music. I download shloads of it. Tell me something mate. Is EVERY PIECE OF SOFTWARE on your computer liscenced? Have you EVER hit kazaa lite and thought..well i need X program to do this and that? Is your copy of Windows Legit? Have you ever picked up a 10 dollar bill on the street and kept it?

Every one does it mate. Get used to it.

If I pay 50 dollars a month for high speed internet, I am damn well certain I am going to get the MOST out of it. And by getting music that I dont have to pay for, I am.

Sorry pal, but I live in Canada. It's perfectly legal for me to download as much music as I want
Right, like califorina is a model state.
and obviously you don't understand how little profit the artists actually see from CD sales. In reality they are seeing less than 10% per CD sold, which pales in comparison to the massive profits the record labels are raking in.
That is a HUGE amount. Wanna know how much money Harris Tetter makes? %1. One dollar for every $100 of items sold. And they considered pretty sucessful.
The 'real' musicians are the ones who play music because they love it. I myself am a musician (not professional), and the satisfaction I get from having other people enjoy something I have created is enough payment for me. Yes I do understand that artists need money to live, but profits made from merchandising and concerts are usually more than enough for them to live quite comfortably.
That's how ya get rolling. But like all people know, most of these bands release only a few songs to the public and hope that they can get a few more people interested in the whole CD. It called a sample.
Back when CD's came out, guess how much they where? $16-$20. This is before the internet file swapping. 5 years goes by. Guess how much CD's are now? $16-$20.let's add another 10 years. Brings us to the last couple of years. How much are cd's now? $16-$20.
check your records. Music copying has been going on as long as there has been a recording machine (el cheapo invention by Thomas Edison about 100 years ago).
I'm saying that if I have the means to take back from the bastards that have been doing nothing but taking from me, then so be it.
two wrongs.

I rest my case here. I'm not coming back. Just remmeber this: There is a 15 year old paying for the 24 year olds music, and that's pretty pathetic.

Yes, I steal. But only when I honistly can't afford it. When I need a copy of Windows I confine myself and all my computers to ONE copy of that software with the promise that I WILL pay for it in time. And you know what? No ones making me stick to my guns here. I could easily steal too. But the difference between you and me is I Care.
If you don't like it, well I am truley, sorry... *tear* seriously... I am.
It's the same outcome. I could predict this.

Goodbye. And no.... I won't miss any of you and none of you will miss me so I wouldn't worry about it.:)

Three things to say here:

1) I'm pretty sure that þÄ®âÐÖx said CANADA, not CALIFORNIA. What type of education do 15 year olds have now days?

2) Your a hypocrite - stealing is stealing. No matter if it's a copy of Windows that you REALLY need and will confine to one machine or an MP3 or a car.

3) Bye.

Mm9004 said:
You scrape me for not watching a cartoon. But what if I told you that you were uneducated because you didn't agree with Adolf Hitler? Ah, I don't care that he was a murderer (or a theaf), If you would have listened to his speeches then you would understand the greatness behind the killing of the Jews!!!

Anyone else find that pretty darn offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom