Music -- Ok to download?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mm9004

Baseband Member
OK I have firm beliefs about this. I'm not going to tell anyone them now.

Right now I wan't to know what everyone else thinks, and it will have a great infuence on how long I stay on this forum. Not that I intend to leave anytime soon. I just need to know right now who stands where so I can know who believes what.

There... i just point the spot light on it. Let's get it out in the open.

Have you seen my avatar?

I download music. I like buring music. I will continue to download music until the prices come down to a reasonable price.

BTW- The RIAA sucks. :)

does this guy represent everyone else who comes to this forum?

If there is smeone with contrary ideas please say so I will not harass anyone. And no one else will harase them either as that is subject to deletion under the techist.com Constitution.

I think I can answer your question with a picture...

031103-mp3s.jpg

Yeah, I download music. There's so much music out there that I like and there's no way I could afford to buy all the cds, at least not at their current prices.

Don't get your feelings hurt MM, but I am one of the more open people on this board and I'm not afraid to tell you what I think or anything else. (Not that anyone here is ... ^^^^^ þÄ®âÐÖx *cough*)

Anyway, I wouldn't expect too many people to respond.

I am curious now though, why would you care who does what? Why would the opinions of the people on this forum about this subject influence you to stay if we think one way or the other?

Coming from a family of musicians (many professional), I am not one to believe in downloading music from a filesharing network. However, that does not mean I am on the side of the RIAA. I disapprove completely of the methods they are attempting to use to eliminate the file sharing frenzy. Personally, I also disapprove of the high prices on CDs, and I see services like iTunes the way the future of the music industry should be. Now please do not attack me. Thank you.

Ok, well I guess thst's it now it's my turn:

Let me tell you a story about how I watched two people argue about this same matter. It went something like this:

Guy number 1: pirates mp3s

Guy number 2: buys CDs

guy number 2 argued with guy 1 until guy 1 looked like an idiot. Then guy 1 said this, and I quote:

"Who cares!!? So long as I get free stuff!"

-end-

That's the truth of the matter. It is refreshingly simple and honist. People who pirate mp3s don't care about the people who get hurt they want free stuff and that's all there is to it.

You can go and steal whole CDs with the cofidence that no one will arrest you. But every time I go to Wal-Mart, I must pay not only for my pleasure... but your plesure too. I must pay for every CD that you download. Somebody has to. And that person happens to be the good honist CD buying guy like me.

I get left with the punishment. But I don't even know why I bother telling you this because honistly you "don't care! So long as you get free stuff!"

And you're not going to stop either because you simply don't care.

Bad prices:
Exist because the CDs are kinda out of demand. If tomorrow, everyone dropped the mp3 bussiness, we're looking at a 50% drop in prices on CDs. Not counting sales and stuff. And it would all go downhill from there.

Here we have a bunch of geniuses stealing the CDs and then complaining about how pricey they are even though THEY ARE NOT THE ONES WHO BUY THEM. But that doesn't matter, so long as you get free stuff.

Personaly, I have downloaded TWO songs in the past YEAR. But some of you wouldn't have the abillity to count the music that you download partly because there are to many to count and partly because you don't care.

I don't know why someone's opinoin's on file sharing would decide if you stay on a forum or not. Any forum you go to you will have people with conflicting ideals. But that's what makes the world great.

As far as me, I have d/l music in the past but have stopped as of late. Not out of respect for the musicians (of which I am one) but for fear of getting that letter in the mail from the new Nazi regime. I have a wife and kids, I can't affoard to pay anything to those scumbags.
As soon as I can find a program for file sharing that will run in Linux, then I'll be back.

Is it right? I think so. I saw a South Park the other day that reflected my sentaments perfectly. If I was lucky enough to be a professional musician, I'd give away my albums. You don't make anything off of them anyway. They're just marketing tools to get people to your show. Then you make all of your money off of merchendising, ticket sales, things like that. And lately music has sucked. A band puts out an album and it has 1 good song on it. Do I want to pay $16 for one song?

Itunes is good, but it can never replace the feeling of getting that new CD the day it comes out. Leafing through the inlay card and intently listening to your fav band's new creation. Walking into your house and looking at the stack of CD's that you've collected over the years. Each with they're own story to tell. I hope the RIAA get's they're sh*t together. I'd be happy to pay, when the price is fair and I know the band is actually going to see some of that money.

Here's why I would leave: Because I don't fell like hanging with the fools that pick-pocket me.

Is it right? Well, lets see... no. Why not? Because it's stealing. That's how simple it is. Regardless of what goes on with the people who get the money, it's still stealing and that's the end of it.

It would be different if the bands that made the music wanted to just give all their songs away... then it would be legal. But these two things are totally different. What you want and what the band want's are two different things because the idiot bands are smart enough to know that money doesn't just come from nowhere.

Here's a guy that thinks South-Park is a good sorce to site. Hmmm.. well I don't watch south-park and I couldn't care less what the little cartoon guy said.

"Do I want to pay $16 for one song?"

No. But that's not the point. It's wrong to steal it regardless.

And one more thing: you missread the subject line in this forum. You thought it said "Does the RIAA do wrong?" When in fact it says "Music -- OK to download?"

Spot-light's on you dude. Not the RIAA. Because even if what they do is wrong, I still count what you do even worse. So don't go pointing fingers at the RIAA... you stole the stuff, not them.

Wow. You took that pretty personally didn't you? If you don't like my opinion, why did you ask? Millions of consumers are d/l music online. I am willing to bet that if people could vote during the next major election to see if d/l'ing mp3's would be legal, it would pass by a huge margin.

Let's tear this down. Bit by bit.

Here's why I would leave: Because I don't fell like hanging with the fools that pick-pocket me.

Good luck finding a forum that is 100% pro RIAA, 100% anti file sharing. And how are we pick-pocketing you? If your a musician, I'm sure your not a major one that is effected by this. If your a record exec, screw you. People call lawyers the leaches of the earth, I disagree. A&R reps are. They leach as much money as they can off of other people's talent.

Is it right? Well, lets see... no. Why not? Because it's stealing. That's how simple it is. Regardless of what goes on with the people who get the money, it's still stealing and that's the end of it.

By who's law are you speaking of? Who am I stealing from? Am I taking a tangable item that is part of someone's inventory? Nope. Would someone have bought that item that I am taking? Nope. Am I taking money out of the artist's pocket? Nope. I wouldn't have bought it anyway at $16 a disk. Would I drop $16 on a band that I have never heard of? Or only heard one song on the radio? Nope. Would I spend $30 on a concert ticket to go see somebody that I have only heard 1 song on the radio? Nope. Tell me, where does a band make more money? From the sale of one ticket or one CD? Tell me which you think they'll be happier to sell? I steal from nobody. The bum taking your hub caps when your parked at that red light. That's stealing. Me transfering a song from my neighbors computer to mine? I don't think so. Is recording a show off of the TV stealing? You didn't buy it. Chances are you'll skip right over the ads that pay for the show.

It would be different if the bands that made the music wanted to just give all their songs away... then it would be legal. But these two things are totally different. What you want and what the band want's are two different things because the idiot bands are smart enough to know that money doesn't just come from nowhere.

Keep in mind that most bands don't have a say so. They sign contracts that they can't understand. Then the record companies own them for the next 5 albums. The band is just happy being signed. Being able to live the dream. Do your homework. Find out how much a newly signed band makes from the sale of a CD. Hell, bands like Metallica make less then $1 from a CD. Tell me who's stealing now.

Here's a guy that thinks South-Park is a good sorce to site. Hmmm.. well I don't watch south-park and I couldn't care less what the little cartoon guy said.

If you have watched this "cartoon", then you would know there are heavy political and social undertones to they're show. And underneeth all the fart jokes a point is being made.

Spot-light's on you dude. Not the RIAA. Because even if what they do is wrong, I still count what you do even worse. So don't go pointing fingers at the RIAA... you stole the stuff, not them.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. That RIAA are all around decent guys. My bad. Let's sue the entire planet for millions each insted of adapt to the changing economic climate. Loosen the tie and take a good look at what you stand for. Musicians don't play music for the money. There has been music way before there has been a record lable to exploit them. Did Bethoven play for the money? Being a musician myself, I'd just be happy with the fact that people are enjoying my talent. I'd make money off of the concert tickets. Becuase I'll make a hell of a lot more that way then through CD sales.

And don't start a thread then bash the people that reply to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom