is MS Windows ready for the desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh...the whole "MS is evil" fad is really getting tiresome...I admit that if you are looking for a workstation generally speaking a *nux kernel would be best, and video/audio work would probably be best on a mac...but what about me, the gamer? Windows is the only option and it works fine for me

no offense intended to anyone in particular, but I really wish windows would actually teach users some skills, cause it really shows in the linux forum and a few other forums

I just have problems with the attitude Microsoft has, very...annoying about things all of the time and I am getting really sick of it.

I like Linux and Mac more, but like gaara said, gaming doesn't fair very well in them. So, I have to keep Windows around.

Windows seems to be much better stripped and then using known reliable apps to do everything else, IOW, windows makes an ok base...........you just cant see the source code or compile any of the binaries. Not being able to compile alot of it is mostly a performance issue, but many of the other apps needed can easily be open source and user compiled. Seems to be a decent movement towards doing just that as of late, sourceforge has lots of projects like that, many of which have roots in unix or linux. Ive noticed quite a few windows apps these days have dll's or libraries ive seen in linux many times. FFMPEG, MPlayer, MEncoder, transcode, all sorts of video related apps to do stuff that often is problematic in windows. If the commandline interface and shell was a little better or closer to what BASH is there really wouldnt be a need for much else in windows. Vista is rumored to include a BASH like shell, took long enough. If the winXP reskit is any indication of what it will be like they had better do some more work to it, cygwin or minGW is better right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom