MS tightens the cuffs. Have fun, Windows users. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
why make a product that benefits the customer when we can make a product that forces customers to lose out on their hard earned cash for something that they didn't "need", that is barely different to what they already paid for and don't need. we at Microsoft see at as our mission to force "upgrades" on the international n00blets so we can liek totally p\/\/|\|z their wallet. why? coz **** 'em, that's why
-Bill Gates on Microsoft ethos and sales policy

credit to Dave Chappele and the PopCopy skit i stole the final line from :)

talldude123 said:
Why not? You have two powerful computers. :confused:

Yeah, so why should I waste them with a really powerless operating system? :rolleyes::amazed:

Instead of adding hype to DX10, why not add hype to Linux and get game developers to use OpenGL too? You people seem to think that DirectX is the only rendering path, are you forgetting that OpenGL exists? OpenGL games for Windows work great in Cedega, Prey is FANTASTIC in Cedega. DX10 this, DX10 that, I don't care!

well said. one of microsofts greatest tricks was convincing the world that OpenGL didn't exist. if the same sort of unification that happened with DX happened with OpenGL i think Linux gaming would be at the forefront. OGL's only drawback was that it couldn't become a "standard" like DX due to the lack of monetary influence.

beedubaya said:
Which is what almost all of the market does. 99.9% of people buy an HP/Dell, use it 3-4 years, then buy a new one. MS doesn't care if teenage techies who continually upgrade for gaming boycott them over this because they are such a small percentage of MS's overall market.
It's also screwing around the Reseller Market too.

Like imagine this. You computer dies. It's outside the warranty. And you take it to a computer store.
The computer store find that it's the motherboard that is faulty. And they need to replace it. The problem is that the motherboard is not longer being produced by the manufacturer.*
Customer just wants the computer fixed. However thanks to Microsoft, no only do they need to purchase a new motherboard, but they are up for a new copy of Windows Vista too.
And my labor to install motherboard and (9 times out of 10) Operating System.

I charge (parts and labour) on average AU$300 to replace a motherboard and reinstall the OS. At another say $150** for another copy of WIndows, which will bring things up to about AU$450. At that stage, I might as well get another computer instead.

* Typical life time for a motherboard model to be in the market is 6 to 18 months.

** based on current price for OEM windows

Argh... They want Linux to be more popular, they want gaming for the masses on Linux and they charge monthly for Cedega? Don't get me wrong, if it plays every game great I think £3 a month is a bargain but they don't state what games are compatible and there is no trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom