Moving... Should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
I've been currently living in a boarding house while I attend college since last September... I live about 300km away from home now.

The thing is, this boarding house is pretty expensive, it's $500 a month. They say meals are included, but they use the term "meal" very loosely. Breakfast is a bowl of cereal. School lunch is a tuna sandwitch, EVERY DAY. And the cooked dinner is always really, really bland (the owner has diabetes pretty bad, his wife has to cook for all of us based on HIS diet), and small portions.
I end up buying a lot of groceries myself, because of this. There are 2 other boarders here, and we all live in the semi-renovated basement "apartment", cluttered with their junk they don't want upstairs. However, it is not really an apartment, because we have to live down here as if we were living upstairs... No visitors, quiet hours, no alcohol... The place is also pretty cramped. In short, I cannot see myself staying here much longer. It could be worse I suppose, but it is DEFINATELY not great either, not very enjoyable.

A few weeks ago, my friend, who rents a 3-bedroom house with two other people, said that two of his roommates do not have intersession, so they will be moving out, and he has to fill the spots. The rent is $350/month including heat/light. The house is old'ish, but it is not run down, I've been in it a few times, and doesn't seem that bad. The only problem is that it has no furniture... There's a couch and a table with chairs and stuff, but the bedrooms are completely bare. I don't know how I could get my bedroom stuff 300KM out here... Besides that, I will be home for the summer, and I would have to drag it BACK home after. A 3 hour drive for this stuff seems very inconvenient.

Anyone have any suggestions? What do you think I'm better off with?

Def worth moving bro, how are you a college student and they wont even let you drink where your paying to live, screw that! i know you can go out to a bar or whatever but if im paying to live somewhere im gonna be able to atleast drink, but then again it is a boarder house and they have their rules, but 350 is alot cheaper and its with a friend and not with a old diabetes fart.

I say move--no reason not to. You can find furniture for this place very cheaply if you look for it. This boarding house sounds like crap, too. With all the money you'll save on rent you can make this new place a lot nicer.

This is a no-brainer and instead of reading anything else go and start packing now.

Aw man don't worry about furniture. All I had in my first apartment was some garage sale junk, a desk chair and a mattress. Milk crates, hangers and some boxes is all you need. You're in college, **** I'm 27 and still don't have some furniture pieces. You're already buying your own food, a 3 hour drive is NOTHING. You probably spend 3 hours playing COD4. At least this way you can have girls over and hang out with friends normally. Ditch the WW2 vets and have some fun in your youth while you can. Worried about money? Why? Get a school loan. I still have 29k in debt from private school and it's TOTALLY manageable. at a $35k/year job so don't worry about that. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DEGREE!!

$500 a month is way too much for what they're charging you. To me it doesn't even sound legal, forcing you all to live in a basement, eat stuff that's barely food and you pretty much pay their bills. Move in with your friend, pick a day to go get your furniture and make a day of it. Go back home, see old friends, visit old hang outs, go out to eat with your family spend the night if you want to, then go back after you get everything all packed up. You'll be refreshed both physically and mentally, plus you won't have to spend hundreds on new/used furniture. The best part? You won't have to live in a sectioned off basement where you room with 2 other people, boxes and spiders, you'll be living in a nice open house free to do as you please, eat chinese and pizza everyday if you want and drink to your heart's content.

MAKE THE MOVE!

If you pick up some super-cheap furniture, you can just leave it there. Your friend could even knock a little off of your last month rent for it.

Try looking at the Salvation Army/Goodwill for some really cheap furniture. Yard sales can also furnish you some great bargains.

The air mattress and lawn chairs mentioned above would work, too. Plus, they take up very little space for when you go home.

I would definitely move.

build your own furniture. get a bunch of milk crates and stack them up. they can be used as tables or chairs and are reconfigurable. air matresses are okay, but not very comfortable for the long run. you can go to walmart and pick up a futon for pretty cheap, or check on craigs and see if anyone is selling one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom