More car mods - 2000 Mustang V6 makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.
With an H22A engine I can beat a Civic and with a simple shock replacement I can out turn one too. I weigh a bit less than an si and the engine is a tad more powerful. It all comes down to power/weight ratios. Your engine may be big, but if your car is too it doesn't mean much.

I really think it can come down to driving skill on most occasions though. With a manual that 0-60 time is all assuming you can use a manual. With an auto it isn't as fast but you don't have to know what your doing either. Most sporty cars are manuals so if you don't know your stuff then you can get smoked by an inferior car.

Good point with the Accord, the V6 is fast and would put a lot of posers to shame. I haven't worked under the hood too much, but I have two uncles who are mechanics and my car has a strong following.

And no need to apologize. Just doing an engine swap wont make any car invincible. A good bit of measured wisdom is always good to have. A lot of my car buddies are very cocky and they take risks. Just because one's car goes fast, doesn't mean it always should.

About the Supra, there is a guy who lives in the same apartment as my buddy with a boosted supra and a carbon fiber hood. For some reason he is always driving with a marble slab in the back seats. Supra owners get respect no if's or buts.

One thing to really keep in mind though, while the mustang might be heavier (although my fox weight in at a tad over 3000lbs, light by todays standards), most have much lower gearing.. which if we are talking 0-60 or 1/4, will typically make up for the weight they might have on you... lightly modded fox bodies can run from a low 14, to low 13 without much cash at all (best I ran was a 13.5.. long time ago..) - while those 96-04 stangs (minus the terminators) ran ~14s stock, and the newest ones run ~13.5-14 stock... if the guy can drive... most civics and such with any kind of NA swap are lucky to get to low 14s.. once had a guy with a built b18 swap brag about getting a 13... 13.9 to be exact.. but he didn't want to admit that last digit.. after dropping the cash he did into it, i'd be ****ed with a 13.9... which is why if I ever buy imports, they better be boosted (NSX excluded, s2k as well)... thus my turbo subie :) AWD launches FTW... I'll even take a corvette.... in the rain...

Did someone say lower gearing? :p I have a set of 4.30's on my floor waiting to be installed.

with lower gearing comes lower gas mileage though... big downside... my foxbody was averaging ~13mpg... freaking horrible... 3.73s too, not even 4.10's...

One thing to really keep in mind though, while the mustang might be heavier (although my fox weight in at a tad over 3000lbs, light by todays standards), most have much lower gearing.. which if we are talking 0-60 or 1/4, will typically make up for the weight they might have on you... lightly modded fox bodies can run from a low 14, to low 13 without much cash at all (best I ran was a 13.5.. long time ago..) - while those 96-04 stangs (minus the terminators) ran ~14s stock, and the newest ones run ~13.5-14 stock... if the guy can drive... most civics and such with any kind of NA swap are lucky to get to low 14s.. once had a guy with a built b18 swap brag about getting a 13... 13.9 to be exact.. but he didn't want to admit that last digit.. after dropping the cash he did into it, i'd be ****ed with a 13.9... which is why if I ever buy imports, they better be boosted (NSX excluded, s2k as well)... thus my turbo subie :) AWD launches FTW... I'll even take a corvette.... in the rain...

RWD FTW. That's the main reason a mclaren F1 can beat a Veyron off the starting line, and stay ahead until the half mile mark.

Here is one of the H22s I found online:
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30017

Looks like a good deal to me. Now I just need 2 grand and a week off from life to install the thing. Boosted these things can be wicked fast. Although a turbo is another large investment.

what car is it going into? might be cheaper to look into a b20 or b18 build, just because parts are more common... and if you take time to build it yourself, you can use forged parts... that way you dont end up boosting on stock internals like so many idiots do (excluding the few engines that can take it...)

also...
typically an AWD will out accelerate a RWD, if not on slicks... i can't see the F1 which is RWD beating an AWD Bugatti to 60.. unless you factor in that the Bugatti was geared so it could hit 260mph or so... drop the gearing so it tops out at ~225 (the F1s top speed) and it might destroy it.. (also the bugatti weighs a ton more).. i dont know, i havent seen exact numbers.. I just know that an evo on street tires vs. a corvette on street tires.. the evo will get way more traction.. and hit 60 first easily.. given you have a 300rwhp evo vs a 300awhp.. **** even 300 at the crank, the awd should accelerate faster on street ties.

now which would I rather own? probably the RWD, more fun, less to maintain, less weight.. etc... but I'd have a hard time turning down an evo9...

with lower gearing comes lower gas mileage though... big downside... my foxbody was averaging ~13mpg... freaking horrible... 3.73s too, not even 4.10's...

Not on these 4v mod motors. I've seen 26mpg highway. After doing some research, most people say that when they went to 4.30's they were low 25, maybe high 24.

what car is it going into? might be cheaper to look into a b20 or b18 build, just because parts are more common... and if you take time to build it yourself, you can use forged parts... that way you dont end up boosting on stock internals like so many idiots do (excluding the few engines that can take it...)

also...
typically an AWD will out accelerate a RWD, if not on slicks... i can't see the F1 which is RWD beating an AWD Bugatti to 60.. unless you factor in that the Bugatti was geared so it could hit 260mph or so... drop the gearing so it tops out at ~225 (the F1s top speed) and it might destroy it.. (also the bugatti weighs a ton more).. i dont know, i havent seen exact numbers.. I just know that an evo on street tires vs. a corvette on street tires.. the evo will get way more traction.. and hit 60 first easily.. given you have a 300rwhp evo vs a 300awhp.. **** even 300 at the crank, the awd should accelerate faster on street ties.

now which would I rather own? probably the RWD, more fun, less to maintain, less weight.. etc... but I'd have a hard time turning down an evo9...

They did it on top gear. A mile long drag race between the F1 and the veyron. The F1 was clearly ahead until the half mile mark, but then the Bugatti caught up and passed it. At the end of the race it was 2 to 3 car lengths ahead.

This would be going into a Honda CB7 Accord. I got the H22 idea from a forum dedicated to CB7 tuning. They had a list of engines that are drop in swaps and it was one of the more common and popular ones. Nowhere in the list was any of the B series of motors listed as compatible, or easily made so. The H22 is the same size and has the exact same mounting brackets as my engine. it is as drop in as you can get. The H22 is supposed to be able to take Boost well, as many of the users are getting a lot of power out of them stock. I want to build one at some point down the road but going stock is fine for the foreseeable future. Actually the first things I plan to do is do something with the wheels and suspension to improve handling and then do a simple header and exhaust manifold upgrade. It will give me 30 more HP for minimum fuss. I would like to do the engine swap in a year or so. I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself.

The thing to remember between a mustang and pretty much -any- import is that the mustang was built to go fast in a straight line. Thats why its rear wheel drive. Most imports were built for going to work. The ones that weren't were built more towards top end speed and cornering. I'd never even think to put my heavy *** jetta up against a mustang in the 1/4 mile. Car is slow as **** off the line because i cant launch a fwd car for anything. Now, put me on an autocross track, and i'll have no issues leaving a mustang behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom