More car mods - 2000 Mustang V6 makeover - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default More car mods - 2000 Mustang V6 makeover

Ok, here is the car now in it's current state of modding:

Current mods I have done:
dual black racing stripes 7" each
Mustang bumper inserts
mustang brake light "MUSTANG" is shown when hitting brake
10" kicker L5 subwoofer
lower black billet grill
orange neon underbodies

Now as of this very moment I am having the car detailed and waxed and I'm getting a hoodscoop painted and installed so that's the next mod that I will show you guys tonight

My plans are then to do the following:
CAI (cold air intake)
Rims
Rocker Panel stripes

My question is about the CAI. I am ordering this one:
Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

And I notice a few people saying their air hose was not long enough to reach the new CAI tube. One person recommended getting a 6" hose extension. What would be the best way of getting a hose and then attaching the extension to it? I am slightly worried about just "stretching" it out to reach the tube because I'm afraid the hose will pull free eventually, though that is what everyone else who installed this part recommends. What do you think? This will be the first performance mod I have done by myself and I think it will be a great touch for my V6 as it says it improves horse power, throttle response/acceleration, exhaust sound (sounds like a V8), and even mpg in some cases.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: More car mods - 2000 Mustang V6 makeover

Heh, i just spent a stupid amount of money on redoing the stereo in my car friday. I'll have to get some pics up of it. As far as CAIs go, i would imagine that it should fit right out of the box, unless you are referring to extending it to the underside of the car to pull air from outside the engine bay.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

It's hard for me to describe the hose and tube I'm talking about. Look at the video on that item page at roughly 3:37-3:45.

Its just some random air hose that connects to the tube at the top of the CAI. I am a total engine noob but with the video installation guide I think I am more than capable of doing it

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Again your car looks sweet Surge.

I would look into the v8 upgrade.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
Again your car looks sweet Surge.

I would look into the v8 upgrade.
Lol, not enough moniez. Especially if I want to dump another grand in new tires and rims sometime. Once I am done I'll have put $2500-3000 into it and it only cost $6,000 when I bought it.....

So I think after the stuff I listed gets done I'll be done with modding it

EDIT: P.S. Does anyone else constantly get Hikari and Hefe mixed up?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

so its a 9 year old v6. How many miles on it? Might be well served with having a new top end done on it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

I installed a K&N FIPK II on my 99' Grand Cherokee. I would just do what everyone has recommended. It's worked for them hasn't it?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicity_27 View Post
I installed a K&N FIPK II on my 99' Grand Cherokee. I would just do what everyone has recommended. It's worked for them hasn't it?
True, I just worry And I guess one person said even stretched his wouldn't fit. Oh well. Guess I'll wait and see.

It only has about 90k miles on it. Not in dire need of a new transmission or anything. Plus a V6 is all I'll ever be able to use on this car anyways. I live in a big town and rarely get to drive over 50mph. My next car I get will be in about 3-4 years and that car will be a performance and speed car. Just gotta get outta college.

I looked at the BBK and other brands of CAIs but was pretty much told that they are all about the same performance wise and the more expensive brands you're basically just paying for that brand. Guess I'll find out. $70 isn't too much of a gamble compared to $250.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

I've actually seen quite a few homemade ones, that cost around $25-30. Sure it isn't as fancy looking as any other, but it does the same job.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

The V8 sound was just what all the others were saying. It may not sound quite as good as a V8, but everyone on that website who bought it said it made their V6 or V8 exhaust rumble a lot better to improve both stock and dual exhaust systems. They even had a sound clip of a V6 before and after this mod and you can definitely tell the difference. I'm not really looking for the V8 sound, that's just a bonus since my car is now identical in appearance save for GT emblems and dual exhaust.

Closed Thread