More bullshit research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Here's something new..

"1 million U.S. children are caregivers"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050914/ts_usatoday/1millionuschildrenarecaregivers

"We know that children have always played a role in assisting their families, especially in minority communities where they frequently act as interpreters and care for their siblings," says Josefina Carbonell, Assistant Secretary for Aging in the Department of Health and Human Services. "Yet this report reveals that a significant percentage of these children are providing much more personal and complex tasks."

Yes. Kids in minority communities help out their parents. So what? :rolleyes:.. I sense something "bad" is going to come very soon in their conclusions.

According to the study, 58% of child caregivers help with at least one routine daily activity, such as bathing, dressing, getting in and out of beds and chairs, eating, and using the toilet or changing adult diapers. Nearly all help with shopping, household tasks and meal preparation, the report says.

"This is a problem we have not even recognized, much less started to address," says Hunt, who will present the findings at the conference on Friday. "These kids are vulnerable."

And here it is ladies and gentleman. I honestly don't know what to say. When I was younger, I helped out around the house whenever I could. A lot of guys/girls in minority communities that I know of do the same. What exactly is wrong with that?..

Kids that grew up here in North America should LEARN a thing or two from these other kids. Instead of justifying the lazy bums and labelling the kids that help out as "vulnerable", perhaps, they should educate kids on the importance of helping out around the house and taking care of the old relatives.

It's always funny when I see this. Ever noticed how a lot of people in these countries "ship off" their parents to old peoples homes when they are older?.. And then visit them on Mother's Day and Father's Day with huge presents and flowers and make a big deal about it?.. What a load of nonsense. These are the values these idiots want to instill on the young people?..

Idiots.. :rolleyes:

lame.....what happened when kids were SUPPOSED to do good things for their parents.

Ever noticed how a lot of people in these countries "ship off" their parents to old peoples homes when they are older?.. And then visit them on Mother's Day and Father's Day with huge presents and flowers and make a big deal about it?..
it's not always like that though...my dads mom had to be put in a home because...well my dad is the youngest of the family and he's 54....his mom lives in texas and his older sisters are all 60+ and my grandma is like....hell I don't even know lol....but they visit her regularly, but in our instance, they simply can't keep proper care of her since she's losing her mind and will just wander out in the street if you're not on her 24/7...that or she'll burn the house down.

I know there are people like what you described though

Yeah. Sometimes it's tough man. Your financial situation just doesn't allow it. I can tell you from personal experience, that old people want emotional support more than anything else. They want to feel loved. They don't care as much about material things - welll, "most" old people :)..

With old people with "special needs" (like your dad's mom), I guess sometimes it makes sense to make sure they are well looked after in a nursing home. As long as you call them very often and visit them often and not leave them room to feel lonely. After all, you can't always control how much is in your paycheck. The important thing is to try to keep them as close as possible. But if they do weird things when left unattended, it could be dangerous for their own safety. However, most old people are not like this..

I have a problem with people who ship their parents off and then live a life of luxury. Or who clearly has resources, but won't care for them b/c of their "lack of privacy".. Or some other bullshit.

Mother's day and Father's day shouldn't come once a year. It's a 365 day/year event. :)

yeah, trust me, there was this big family argument over putting her there lol...cause my dads the youngest out of 5 children, him being the only male lol....so his sisters were all bltching at each other about who should do what, blah blah blah, but it finally just came down to she had to go...not only financial reasons, but like I said his sisters are getting old themselves lol. being 60+ years old, it's pretty hard to basically babysit a 85+ year old.

But I do know shes visited frequently...theres no life of luxuring living going on in my family thats for sure

Yeah that's getting pretty old man. At that age, they kindda lose sense as to what is happening even. Well some of them. My grandmother wasn't able to think very clearly at that age either. She passed away recently :(.. *sigh*

I am not sure what the thread is intending to say...but I can tell you that everyone I know would be happy to help their parents with something.

Well.. The thread is intended to demonstrate how ridiculous the analysis was in the original article:

This is a problem we have not even recognized, much less started to address," says Hunt, who will present the findings at the conference on Friday. "These kids are vulnerable.

Kids that help out are not "vulnerable". They just have a sense of responsibility.

We know that children have always played a role in assisting their families, especially in minority communities where they frequently act as interpreters and care for their siblings," says Josefina Carbonell, Assistant Secretary for Aging in the Department of Health and Human Services. "Yet this report reveals that a significant percentage of these children are providing much more personal and complex tasks.

There's nothing wrong with kids from minority communities that help out. In fact, other kids should try to be more like them.

I think kids that grow up in other countries like South Asia, China, Italy, possibly Eastern Europe, etc. have better values than kids that have grown up the "North American" way.

Simply b/c parents of these backgrounds raise their children as if they were "back home", doesn't make them more "vulnerable". It is ridiculous.

Also, there is a certain lack of respect that kids have these days to their parents in US/Canada. If my kid ever talks back to me, I wouldn't have any problems smacking him/her in the face. Not abuse mind you. Just teaching them manners the old fashioned away. Anyways, I am digressing.

Essentially, what I am saying is that the authors of the article are pretending to be so enlightened in the ways of "raising children". However, the "North American" way of raising children leaves much to be desired for. :rolleyes:

I think kids that grow up in other countries like South Asia, China, Italy, possibly Eastern Europe, etc. have better values than kids that have grown up the "North American" way.
Yeah, thats one thing I like about Japan honestly, it's common as hell to actually tell your parents that you're heading out and when you come home and same for them to tell you 'have a safe trip' or 'take care' or things like that and welcome home (of course like any other nation this doesn't necessarily apply to all) but hell in america especially it's most kids just jet out the door, parents dont say anything kids dont, kids come home whenever the hell they feel like it, not to mention like you said kids are the biggest smart asses today.

I was driving home the other day, and I see two kids who just got out of school walking...the light had turned green for the cars making a left hand turn and the kids waited for like 2 cars then just began walking and the next car had to stop in the middle of the damn street to wait for them...and what do they do...stroll across as slow as they can and then just stare down the driver.....ESPECIALLY in california its like "I dare you to hit me!" and it's just fukkin stupid.

I remember hearing about how they wanted to do away with the pedestrian law so in instances like that, you get hit, it's YOUR fault.

Well, I think you have to take into account the fact that we all live in completley different societies as well.

yeah a society of lazy bastards, irresponsible parents who point the finger at EVERYTHING ELSE besides them for their kids being delinquents, and of course smart ass back talking kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom