Mistaken Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Yeah I can see how they got this wrong. Hope the link works.

Caucasian Man Mistaken For African-American Suspect - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Caucasian Man Mistaken For African-American Suspect

POSTED: 5:59 pm EST November 16, 2007
UPDATED: 9:18 am EST November 17, 2007

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A bad case of mistaken identity in Orange County should have been as clear as black and white. Anthony Johnson, an African American, was convicted of felony drug possession. Andrew Johnson, a white man, is the innocent victim of a case of mistaken identity.

Andrew Johnson said he's been unable to drive or even work, because of someone else's mistake. His truck will stay parked in his front yard until he can prove that he is not Anthony Johnson

The two guys don't look anything alike, but going through the red tape to prove it isn't easy. Now 46-year-old Andrew Johnson can't go anywhere unless his mom drives him.

"It's embarrassing," he told Eyewitness News.

The Ocoee Police Department took his driver's license because they thought he was Anthony Johnson.

"Obviously it's mistaken identity. We are two different races," Andrew told Eyewitness News.

Anthony Johnson has been arrested twice in Broward County for felony drug possession. His license was revoked in February. The Broward County Sheriffs Office accidentally mixed up Anthony's driver's license number with Andrew's.

"I can't understand why they cant look at this and say we made a mistake," Andrew said.

Amazingly, police told Eyewitness News the burden of proof falls on the victim.

"It's a shame the court system is so messed up, they make a mistake and we have to correct it," he said.

Andrew is an electrical contractor and has to drive to his jobs. He's been out of work for two weeks trying to get the mix up cleared up. He sent a photo ID, fingerprints and copies of his birth certificate to the State Attorney's Office in Ft. Lauderdale two days ago.

"I'd like to get this cleared up so I can get on with my life," Andrew said.

Eyewitness News called the State Attorney's Office in Ft. Lauderdale Friday afternoon and made them aware of the mix up. They actually have an "it's not me" unit. It usually takes three weeks to get the cases cleared up, but they promised they would put a rush on it so Andrew can get back to work.
Copyright 2007 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom