military idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

taintedplay

lolwut?
ok so i was watching howe and howe tech (guys who make military vehicles) and it got me thinking.

ok what about this for an idea:
say you and your team have a few hostages in a house, but neck deep in enemy territory. (think black hawk down)

Now, if say a uh60 blackhawk had something like this:

for lack of a better term, a large steel box. Like steel tubing frame, with thick steel plates. It would have a shape that would help deflect incoming fire. maybe like 8ftx8ftx4ft. and have it attached via heavy steel cable to the uh60. You drop this heavy SOB down, everyone jumps in, and it gets it out. But, it does it from safety. I read (not sure how acurate) that 1000ft is pretty safe distance, if you had 1000ft of steel cable, say that weights 1000lb. The uh60 can lift max 8000lb. if you could get your 8 guys and lets say 2 hostages in this thing, (doors on the top) that would weigh in the area of 2-3000lb. If the box only weighed around 3klb, woudlent that work?

so basically this thing would drop down, right through the roof on the other side of the house, next door, ect, and everyone would jump in, and the helictoper would lift away. But the helicopter would never be in harms distance.

yay or nay?

Armor is heavy....very heavy.

Just the door on an m1157 humvee weighs 300 pounds.

Average person weighs about 200lbs, so 2000lbs in personnel alone. plus the 1000lbs for the cable. Left with 5000lbs for this box.

Now you forgot to add the weight of a combat load, for example without gear i weigh about 245. With gear im at 315, so 70-100 pounds per person on top of that. So lets add another 1000lbs....we now have only 4000lbs for the box.

Now i would suggest making this out of kevlar versus steel, as its much stronger and lighter.

im def not an expert, but it sounds like we wouldent have much armor on the box. But, if it takes say 45 seconds to get this box out to safe hieght (once again jsut a guess on time) woudlent that be alot safer than the time it would take to mount up and drive away? ie look at black hawk down, instead of being stuck behind roadblocks, ect, just use this.

Well it has to be a certain thickness to be effective, and certain munitions blast right through.

RPG's and .50 cal rounds blow right through.

wouldn't they blow right through a humvee tho too?
im saying enough to stop small arms fire

i know this thing wouldn't withstand everything, im just saying wouldn't it sometimes be alot more effective then traditional means of ex-filtrating.

humvees are the worst to go out on patrol with.

mraps have some better protection.

We need to just hurry up and build nanosuits like GI. JOE......lol.

also, say you used a chinook (i belive those are still in use, could be wrong) that have a max lift of 26000lb

The way the army works, they may test something but it wont be put to use for 20-30 years.

I swear they like to use everything forever.

But thats freaking cool....in another 15 years it might be slim and sleek enough to be combat effective.

The way the army works, they may test something but it wont be put to use for 20-30 years.

I swear they like to use everything forever.

But thats freaking cool....in another 15 years it might be slim and sleek enough to be combat effective.

freaking cool...and freaking scary :p I wouldn't want to fight robotic dudes, even if I was one of them.
Chances are that it'll be a kinda 'first hit wins' scenario with those suits. At least at first, until they figure out how to make them harder better faster and stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom